Appropriate Iron for 211 Triode SE - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2007, 02:39 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Some of his early transformers were good stuff. Then he shipped poorly constructed junk. After that he took money and delivered only excuses. I consider myself lucky that I actually got something in return for my money (which was the Ebay starting price) all 3 times. In each case, I had to go through the email - phone call - excuse cycle to get my transformers. After the third pair he had my account locked out by Ebay because " I complained too much."

There were long threads here and on other forums about this guy and his "business practices". The usual avenues for lodging a complaint were all saturated.

The technique that I have resorted to twice seems to work. Look up the offenders web hosting service. This can usually be found by doing a "who is" search on Network Solutions. Then send a polite email to the web site hosting company asking them how to file a fraud complaint, implying legal action. Send a CC to the offender. I got my transformers the next week!
Old 4th November 2007, 03:12 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

hi tubelab.com,

10K SE OPT little problem was Turn ratio for prmary & secondary was too high.

It will very easy to cause HF roll off easy & HF atmosphere was not good.

I use Kondo Ongaku to compare my Nano Amorphous core 10K SE & also use Tango X-10S already.

I feel nano had better HF & detail, vocal was smooth then original Hi-B core. the most important was distoration was quite low or said most linear of this OPT.

I also test with ultra Hi-B core & found this core was good in bass( compare to permalloy & nano amorphous ) But dynamic was little bit weak than Low loss Z11/M6 core. But its bass was more detail, texture was better.

I will test my 10K SE for U to reference.
I only use Audio precision to test for my nano 3.5K only.
I will test them later & post result in here.

many thanks

BTW,

I forgot to say my friend diy your 845SE circuit very good sound.
I will send my 10K nano OPT to him & operate in your corcuit to test for performance later.

Photo was my 3.5K nano testing result!

thx

thomas

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th November 2007, 03:18 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

hi Tubelab,

this is my set up for testing.

I use full Kondo Ongaku ( phone amp), 211SE & push TAD Exclusive 3401W. This speaker had ET-703 Cobalt magnet driver will very sensitive for HF atmosphere.

Is your Ongaku OPT from Ebay was made from AN Japan?

thx

thomas

Old 4th November 2007, 03:19 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Full look of my se t Up!

thx

thomas

Old 4th November 2007, 05:09 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is your Ongaku OPT from Ebay was made from AN Japan?
No they were made by a con artist in Pennsylvania, USA. They cost me $150 USD for the pair including shipping. I am afraid that Audio Note products are far beyond my budget.

I have the Audio Note (UK) power transformer that was specified in the original Sound Practices article. I will probably put it on Ebay to raise some cash. I have come to the realization that I have far more projects than I can possibly complete.
Old 4th November 2007, 05:22 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hey tubelab that guy lives about an hour north of me. When people started getting ripped off I thought about taking a road trip to ask him personally.
Old 4th November 2007, 09:23 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I make one of two trips per year to my mother - in - laws house in northern WV. The closest airport is Pittsburgh. Several of my friends asked me to "visit" him a few years ago. It was probably wise that I didn't.

I was informed that before he was involved with transformers, he did the same thing with electrostatic loudspeakers. Only it is not clear if anyone ever received anything other than some poorly copied "plans".
Old 5th November 2007, 04:36 PM   #28
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
<snip>

I was informed that before he was involved with transformers, he did the same thing with electrostatic loudspeakers. Only it is not clear if anyone ever received anything other than some poorly copied "plans".
Hi George,
There was that lame model along with a set of badly drawn plans of the electrostatic wonder woofer he hawked in AA or was it GA? (Cant' remember.) One of my friends got hooked by that scam, and looking at the plans there wasn't really enough information there to determine whether it would have actually worked, but it seemed unlikely without a lot of additional detail work/experimentation. Needless to say he did not build it. Later still there was that prohibitively expensive reprint of an old transformer design manual, and finally the bad transformers themselves.
Old 6th November 2007, 12:46 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Handmade would be more appropriate for another thread - they're a dead issue, anyway. I've been looking around and think that I'll probably use GM-70s instead of the 211 for the amplifier. I'm wondering if they would be compatible with something like the One Electron transformer with 6400 ohms primary impedance?
Old 6th November 2007, 01:28 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Yes we have discussed the con artist far too much already, but note his name was HandWOUND electronics. HandMADE is a different company that is still in business.

I have no experience with the GM-70, but there is a discussion group at Yahoo devoted to that (and similar) tube:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GM70/

If I remember correctly, you have to ask for membership, which takes a few days. From their main page:

" This group is for enthusiasts of audio tube amplifiers/preamplifiers of a variety which are usually large, extravagant, and totally excessive, oftentimes employing tubes such as the GM70, GM100, 45, 112A, or the 845, hence the nickname "boatanchors". We consider membership to start at amps which could anchor, oh say a 15 foot sailboat, on a moderately calm day."

I can find no mention of a 6400 ohm One Electron OPT on their web site. Their OPT's are rated at 15 watts which is on the small side for a 211 or GM - 70.

Hide this!Advertise here!