• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any SE project for 91db speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys, I am also looking at those 813 and 811 schematics. It seems they can produce larger power but at the voltage of <700V. Anyway I will try the Mikael's KT88 SE since it is so simple! Since I have a Grounded Grid Preamp in my rig so I will built it as a poweramp, therefore I will taken out the 100K pot and short it. This way I am still "keeping" its preamp stage right? I think it is just equal to using the amp at its max volume.

laiben

Simpleton said:
Laiben,

As Sherman, I've built an integrated KT88 SE amp, following Mikael's schematic.
You must use the preamp stage of the schematic as the KT88 need something around 30V swing on their grid.

Good luck!

18thell said:

If you building tube amp. no matter 300V or 1000V, it's the same way to hell if you careless.

2A3, 300B too expensive, so, Solid state would be the answer !

Thanks 18thell. I was extremely careful when I made my EL34 PP guitar amp last time, didn't get any shock. :) Maybe I will make a chipamp or T-amp for my next project!

The Paradigms sound ok with a SET at medium levels, in my experience: just get a GOOD output transformer and choose a powerful driver stage.

I would go for a real triode over a triode-wired pentode, but on the other hand you would have the option of ultralinear connection and can use feedback if necessary...

I must admit that I started out just reading this thread and have suddenly excited an interest to do a SE amplifier.

After looking at the SE Tubelab board it is surely a win win situation. He has done all the work and perfected it so the project can go together without any misses. It doesn't get any better than this.

Burnedfingers,

I can thoroughly recommend the TubeLab SimpleSE. I was curious about tube amps and thought I would build one to satisfy my curiosity. I did not want to invest too much money and wanted a low risk of failure. The SimpleSE fit the bill, so I ordered the PC board and other components. The hardest part was the chassis work. The amp worked perfectly first up. The only issue I have had is blown silicone diodes which I suspect is due to the implementation of the standby switch. Reading this thread http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=493 makes me think this is the case, but George (TubeLab) will probably be able to comment much better on this. I also had a JJ GZ34 rectifier valve blow on me. I suspect that this is a problem with the valve in question and no relation to the SimpleSE design as I have been using a Sovtek 5AR4 and a Winged C 5U4G when I want to drop the B+ a few volts (for some Winged C EL 34s that the anodes glow on with the 5AR4). I have taken out the silicone diodes and the standby switch and have had zero problems since.

The reason I built was to satisfy a curiosity. When the rectifier valve blew and I was waiting for a replacement, I connected my home made chip amp back up to my system so I could listen to music. After a few minutes I turned the system off. I thought I would rather listen to nothing than go back to the old setup! I really love this amp.

Next project is a PP EL84. Now if TubeLab would only make a SimplePP! (You listening George ;) )

Cheers,

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.