• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Clarification of floating heater supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone
When you have a scenario where the heater cathode voltage exceeds the limit in one half of a twin triode yet the other half doesnt as in the case of the aikido and srpp I note the advice is to elevate the heater supply which i understand.
What confuses me is that no reference is made to the cathode heater half which isnt over the limit.
It seems there is no advice on say using 2 triodes per channel, one dual triode sharing the "Upper valve" duties (and having the elevated heater supply) and the other sharing the lower half duty.
Can I assume this is the convention or can you just float at say 50V or some arbitrary figure so that both are elevated but within limits (if one triode is being used as upper and lower halves).
What is the correct method?
Thanks

Here's a schem:

heatRefDemo.gif

The reference voltage is taken from B+ with a resistive divider.  Total resistance of the divider should be about as many kilohms as the volts of your supply; you want to draw about 1mA with the divider, to get a stable voltage.  If you have a center tap on the heater transformer/winding, you attach it to the junction of the divider.  If not, a 'fork' of resistors, 330Ω or so, goes to the two sides of the winding.

Questions?

Poinz

I likewise have often "biased" the AC heater supply to a positive DC voltage.

In some schematics, I have also seen the heater left truely "floating" with respect to DC and just a capacitor used from one side to tie the heater to 0V AC wise (at higher frequencies anyway).
When might you use this rather than bias the heater to a fixed DC voltage? Is there any benefit or is the opposite true (not as good)?

Cheers,
Ian

It is not floated.  Floating means that it is not referenced to the main circuit (the heaters have nothing directly to do with the audio amp; they just keep the cathodes hot) at all.  You are correct, it is referenced to a DC voltage 47Vdc above audio circuit ground - roughly halfway between the two cathodes.

You can't float your heater supply.  It'll reference itself all over the place, and you will have weird fizzy humming issues.

How do I know this, hm?

Aloha

Poinz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.