• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chokes Designed for Choke Input PSU's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sowter (England) offers inductors specifically intended for choke I/P service.

The Hammond 193Q is a (sic) 21 lb. behemoth, which is rated for 500 mA. Even with a 50% derate, it should easily do the job.

Viscoelastic mounting is probably a good idea, regardless of the make of choke you use. The 1st inductor in a choke I/P filter works HARD.

hey-Hey!!!,
The UTC CG-103 is a 250 mA swinger. 5-25 Hy between 250 and 25 mA. There are Triad endbell versions in 200 and 300 mA and these will do a significant fraction of that in DC output. I used a Triad C-19, a 10 Hy/300 mA choke with 400-0-400 into it, and it delivered 220 mA comfortably.
cheers,
Douglas

consider also the Chicago 8200, an 8Hy/200 mA device, by the indictance curve I saw, it will tolerate input duty w/o complaint at the level you propose.

I'm designing in full Class A, and I'm using a small "tuning" capacitor (2.88uF total) so I'm not completely sure that a huge choke is as necessary here as in other amps, but I'll definitely check out those recommendations. I wonder if Edcor makes chokes :scratch2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.