• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Morgan Jones on Google Books

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Morgan Jones has contributed much to this hobby, and to this forum. I feel that the money he earns from the sale of those books is well deserved. Please support him and buy the books.

I believe that he has made comment on the forum that edition 4 is due out soon?

Cheers,

Chris

Morgan Jones has contributed much to this hobby, and to this forum. I feel that the money he earns from the sale of those books is well deserved. Please support him and buy the books.

I believe that he has made comment on the forum that edition 4 is due out soon?

Cheers,

Chris

+1 for the copyright protection of the works' creator. Google is overstepping the mark - their self-serving idealism is flying in the face of individual rights.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have both of these e-books if you need to borrow.

Please don't share the e-books you've purchased with others, it is actually a violation of copyright law. (You can probably give it to someone else, but you can't legally retain a copy for your own use) You're effectively depriving the author of deserved income for his work, and personally I think MJ has really earned that money. Support him by buying his books!

Maybe we can start a thread for suggestions for 4th edition?

I'm sure that the book has been outlined and mostly written already. He contacted me about possibly mentioning PowerDrive a while ago.

Re new edition, I thought I saw a comment that he said the draft was due to the publisher by end of year? I could be mistaken though...

Yeah, I looked through my email and his "it won't be soon" statement was made early last year. OK, I guess that "not soon" has expired!

Good design rules, excellent sections on power supplies, and even a section on metalwork.

Where do you think the idea for my industrial amp came from?

i believe i used wood glue to stick them back together.

Mine is now a collection of loose pages and clumps of pages in a box. I think that they are still in order. "Building Valve Amplifiers" is still intact though.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is it just me or did they fall apart rather easily?
<snip>.

Is it possibly environment related (?) as I have the 1st and 3rd Edition of "Valve Amplifiers" and the 1st Edition of "Building Valve Amplifiers." Not a page has fallen out of any of these, and I've had the 1st edition for a very long time, and the others since they came out.

I am careful with my books so it is possible that the way I handle them plays a role, or I just don't refer to them as much as I should. :D

Is it possibly environment related (?) as I have the 1st and 3rd Edition of "Valve Amplifiers" and the 1st Edition of "Building Valve Amplifiers." Not a page has fallen out of any of these, and I've had the 1st edition for a very long time, and the others since they came out.

I am careful with my books so it is possible that the way I handle them plays a role, or I just don't refer to them as much as I should. :D

When i picked up my copies, I scoured them for information since I was a total toob noob at the time (still am, honestly), and I know I put them through their paces. Up here in Northern Nevada, the weather fluxes from one extreme to the other, so it may be environment related. it's also rather dry. If it sat in the warehouse for any length of time before I got it, that probably didn't help.

i will say i considered breaking them apart further, into individual chapters

Is it possibly environment related

Possible. I live in south Florida where the humidity ranges from 99% to 100%, although the books have spent their entire lives in this room which is always air conditioned often with 2 AC units.

I have a RC-30 (tube manual) that is a reprint purchased at about the same time as MJ. It sees far more use and is still intact. However my RC-25 which I purchased new in 1966 at the Lafayette radio electronics store for $1.25! It is in about the same condition as MJ. My RC-22 is almost all single loose pages.

Please don't share the e-books you've purchased with others, it is actually a violation of copyright law. (You can probably give it to someone else, but you can't legally retain a copy for your own use) You're effectively depriving the author of deserved income for his work, and personally I think MJ has really earned that money. Support him by buying his books!
Where would those of us without engineering degrees be without those books? We would have to rely totally on RDH4 or,LOL!, "Vacuum tube amplifiers" by Valley and Wallman.(although it is an ambition of mine to be able to get through this some day) I think very few amplifiers would actually get built. Buy the books and if they fall apart buy another copy.Think how we overstock in tubes and the compulsive capacitor buying disease. I am thrilled to hear that a 4th edition is expected.

+1 for the copyright protection of the works' creator. Google is overstepping the mark - their self-serving idealism is flying in the face of individual rights.
Google has nothing to do with it. The books are uploaded by the publisher, in agreement with the copyright holder.

(The middle section of my copy fell apart the first time I read it. Poor quality binding, Newnes!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.