• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

the OTHER tubes forum=yuck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12AU7

...get rid of those 12AU7 in the output stage , replace with 7AF7 , 7N7 , 6BX7 , 6BL7 or 6SN7 and it would look alright (only joking) . 12AU7 to me sound cack , I while ago I tried a Mullard M8136 and then a Brimar 12AU7 on a socket adapter in the 6SN7 slot of my amp . Well I sat back had a few beers and it sounded ok but a bit fuzzy but the next day , stone cold sober it sounded completely awful . The sound had a nasty synthetic 'sheen' about it . 6SN7 went back in and I haven't gone back since . Saying that I can't really knock the 12AU7 , I've sold about 400 since last summer , best selling product !

316a

Attachments

• robamp.jpg
    robamp.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 381
Re: 7N7

316a said:
Oh , nearly forgot : 7N7 will tell a few stories about the tubes asylum (hehehe)

316a

Damn, I LOL at that.

I noticed 7N7's comment later about the Last Chance Saloon thread on A2. The responses were really funny, and I enjoyed reading the posts, but then I've been quite vocal about my <i>personal</i> dislike of the 12__7 family. Tube DIY at A2: much better than Tubes, which has unfortunately gone the way of the Vinyl forum, ie, down the toilet.
For a really good chuckle, read njjohn on SET.
Dave Slagle: has a really good understanding on transformers, very opinionated, and as he changes his amps around a lot (apart from safety concerns) I see little wrong with the stacked MDF construction techniques. No use building a fancy box only to have the amp not fit in it next revision.
The verbal stoushes between him and Mike LeFevre (MQRacing) are entertaining and informative.

HK Audio club: waaaaaaay out there.

For a really good chuckle, read njjohn on SET.

The thing that bothers me is that his Aural matrix stories actually get some serious posts.

Luckily most are on to him now..I thought I was the only one who thought he was a nutter.

Seriously the tube diy section is not bad at all. Just does not have regulars like this forum has.

I really enjoyed Joe Rosen (Also known as Doc Flingpoo) when I started there..

There are a lot more people the Grover and Dave though. In no particular order... Mike Levevre(Mqracing),Paul Joppa, Doc B., Gary Pimm, Jim Hagermann, Eli Duttman, Lynn Ollson, Uncle Ned, Owen, MB-DE, Gary Kaufman, Paul Barker, Jim Carlon, Sector-7G, Paul Scearce, j.l.guillebeau@att.net, Pete Millett, Allen Wright and Victor Khomenko ...the list goes on and on. And a couple of others who also post here like 7n7, fatbottle, J Epstein to name a few.

O yes and don't forget "our" Dhaen :)

O yes, I forgot the mighty Thorsten too but he "left" AA.

Bas Horneman said:
The thing that bothers me is that his Aural matrix stories actually get some serious posts.

Just goes to confirm how far A2 has fallen.

Luckily most are on to him now..I thought I was the only one who thought he was a nutter.

Perhaps too much peyote? I think he thinks, he's Gizmo reincarnated. He's not (nowhere near funny enough).

Seriously the tube diy section is not bad at all. Just does not have regulars like this forum has.

Tube DIY and High Eff speakers are the best forums on A2 by orders of magnitude. However, the cattle are starting to migrate in, so it's only a matter of time.

I really enjoyed Joe Rosen (Also known as Doc Flingpoo) when I started there..

Damn he was funny, and I wish he'd pop in again. Even if I didn't agree with many of his preferences at all, he knew what he was talking about, could articulate his reasoning, and had actually done the experiments to reach his own decisions. Some of his names for products are so good, they stick in your mind, and I've even found myself using them unconsciously from time to time. (Pain-in-ear, Sansrewy, Crapamichi)

There are a lot more people the Grover and Dave though. In no particular order... Mike Levevre(Mqracing),Paul Joppa, Doc B., Gary Pimm, Jim Hagermann, Eli Duttman, Lynn Ollson, Uncle Ned, Owen, MB-DE, Gary Kaufman, Paul Barker, Jim Carlon, Sector-7G, Paul Scearce, j.l.guillebeau@att.net, Pete Millett, Allen Wright and Victor Khomenko ...the list goes on and on. And a couple of others who also post here like 7n7, fatbottle, J Epstein to name a few.

Great list of character, and a ton of knowledge and expertise between them. I've sung Lynn's praises often (and Allen's, and Gary Pimm's), and even have a large number of files culled from A2 and Joe posts that I keep as a reference, similar to what's on your website. Lots of them I'd like to meet and have a discussion and a meal with.
Your big omission was Mark Kelly. Lots of good enthusiasts too like yourself and others.
I've also dealt with Jim Hagerman, and have found him to be a gent of integrity.

O yes and don't forget "our" Dhaen :)

I try, but he just won't go away.

O yes, I forgot the mighty Thorsten too but he "left" AA.

However his evil alter-ego still posts there.

Cheerio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.