• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cycline3 on the 12AU7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I don't want to get into either side here but I'd like to know the opinions on the ECC802S, which as far as I can see is a somewhat SQ version of the ECC82 (12AU7).

Using my "leet" paint.net skills I overlaid both ECC802S and ECC82 curves with transparency etc, lined the scales up, and they seem to be very similar.

Does the 802 have some sonic qualities that differ from the bog-standard 82? (I should point out that things like 'sound stage', 'muddy', 'tight' and other terms I see around here mean nothing to me! :))

I'm thinking of using an 802 in a driver stage, and they're not a great deal more expensive than 82s so I was wondering what the differences really are.

Cheers

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
PeteN said:
Hi,
I don't want to get into either side here but I'd like to know the opinions on the ECC802S, which as far as I can see is a somewhat SQ version of the ECC82 (12AU7).

Using my "leet" paint.net skills I overlaid both ECC802S and ECC82 curves with transparency etc, lined the scales up, and they seem to be very similar.

Does the 802 have some sonic qualities that differ from the bog-standard 82? (I should point out that things like 'sound stage', 'muddy', 'tight' and other terms I see around here mean nothing to me! :))

Cheers

difference (guaranteed) is just longevity ;
every other difference is just random (all that mambo jumbo fifi things)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.