• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

3A/110B into a LL1680 Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
siu sin man tho said:
hi Brett,

if later U had time I hope U will try to consume a little bit of private time to test tango NP-126 pre-amp output.
For the cheaper product james, japan famous air tight also use their output trans.
I hope diyer had more choice.

I'd be very interested in testing the Tango, but I'm not interested enough to spend several hundred dollars on the experiment, especially as they wouldn't slot into my system that easily. If you wanted send me a couple on spec to try out I'd even build stages especially to try them and run comparisons....

I don't care to post one pair to U to test.

Oh, well..... there goes that idea.

Is it very rare people in foreign area test or use tango or tamura transformers. James too.

From my perspective, it's because there are few distibutors, they're expensive (especially with shipping, exchange rates and taxes) and offer far fewer chioces wrt quality PP OPTs for line and powerstages. Not being of The Cult Of The SET, this leaves me with fewer choices for new OPTs. Somehow, I'd be surprised if a James betters my Partridges.

Someone who's opinion I trust (Allen Wright) has also stopped using James OPT's as he's found some that he feels are better, Lundahls. I used Lundahls when I built some of his poweramps.

Cheers!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
OPTS.

Hi,

Somehow, I'd be surprised if a James betters my Partridges.

No OPT has ever bettered the good old PARMEKOs IMHO...damm, are we ever going to learn?

The Lundahls are one of the best available alternatives nowadays and of course if you want to spend big bucks you could try some AudioTechne trans.
You'd better have deep pockets and a lot of faith though.

One way around it is OTL of course.:devily:

Cheers,;)

hi fdegrove,

I trust james cannot better than the real parmeko.
Whick parmeko U use??/
if the parmeko that stated had 3K or 3.5K with black can oil fill is made in china. I also can supply but this is not good. I can get in very cheap price. only USD 300 will on my hand.
But I not trust this china OEM output trans,
I only trust famous & quality goods.
The james cost only USD 200 perpair. If your parmeko is NOS one. Its quite expensive, I also love this NOS trans.

If really top of best trans, I will choose tango permalloy version.
Ny`15`3.5S & tamura F5002 amphorous core.
pls visit http://users.starpower.net/je2a3/Gallery.htm.

thanks

thomas

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
TRANFORMED.

Hi,

Whick parmeko U use??/

None.
I don't use any xformer at the output, the speakers are coupled directly to the amps, only two coupling caps in the entire circuit.

But of all the OPTs I've listened to the Parmeko suits my ears best and from what I get as feedback these were very good transformers both as OPTs (the famous Partridge) and most any other xformer they made was exceptional.

Making them again today would probably land them into WE 300B price territory.

For info, Parmeko was a well established British brand, nothing to do with any Chinese copy or someone unashamedly using this brandname.
If indeed some Chinese company are using this name than you'd better be warned that those are not the real Mc Coys.

Nah, I like lots of iron in my diet.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
With your horns OTLs would be total madness, Brett.

Cheers,;)

Frank,

i agree of your comments. I still had one pair audiomaster EL34 amp which is use the famous Partridge output xformers.
They work very good in my pervious Tannoy York Speakers,
As U said the famous Partridge & Parmeko were one of the best
xtransformer in the world. But really there was some black can & oil fill which name UK made Parmeko whick had 3.5K & 3K Se output. U were very lucky because U had professional to make sure that which one was the unashamedly using this brandname.
AFTER I check the stated was new Build Partridge, they were all use the old core of the real Partridge, as they said & re-wire. But really I don't trust them. So I only use Tango or tamura or james.
At last why I choose permalloy versions of the tango use. Because the sound quality was very close one of my amp that I had.
its WE original amp.
K-133. Photo shows.
Its use we618B trans to push 348(6j5) & 349(6F6) PP. The density was very similar.
So I know I love permalloy most.

Frank, Actually I was a new guy in this board if some of the opinion not objective pls forgive me. I only write my feeling. We had different culture & I think this will effect the taste of choice.

thanks

Thomas

Attachments

• we kx133 amp.jepg.jpg
    we kx133 amp.jepg.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 397
hi brett.

If U had interest, I will post one pair Tango NP-126 to U to test.
The another stock is posting to me.
pls see the spec.

•i–¼ NP-126.ƒCƒ“ƒs�[ƒ_ƒ“ƒXZp(ƒ¶) •Ïˆ³”ä

NP-126 20k(sprit) 0�`150�`300�`600�`1.2Kƒ¶ 1:0.245
110H Ib=10mA Max20ma
10V/30Hz.
10k(sprit) 0�`150�`300�`600
I had U had interest. Pls try.

Thanks

Thomas

hi brett,

there are few distibutors, they're expensive (especially with shipping, exchange rates and taxes) and offer far fewer chioces wrt quality PP OPTs for line and powerstages. Not being of The Cult Of The SET, this leaves me with fewer choices for new OPTs.

As I know this reason.

I use several method method to solve this problems.
1. I apply a business account to post the items. Much cheaper.
2. I accept multi-currency payment than the other diyer not need to lost the exchange rate.

I hope this method can help them.

thanks

Thomas

siu sin man tho said:
hi brett.

If U had interest, I will post one pair Tango NP-126 to U to test.
The another stock is posting to me.
pls see the spec.

•i–¼ NP-126.ƒCƒ“ƒs�[ƒ_ƒ“ƒXZp(ƒ¶) •Ïˆ³”ä

NP-126 20k(sprit) 0�`150�`300�`600�`1.2Kƒ¶ 1:0.245
110H Ib=10mA Max20ma
10V/30Hz.
10k(sprit) 0�`150�`300�`600
I had U had interest. Pls try.

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas,

Thank you for your kind and generous offer. I'd really like to hear them, and will email you shortly to arrange it.

Kind Regards
Brett

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.