• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

852 tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this tube? I've been searching all of the internets for information on it but haven't found anything other than RCA was one of the manufactures of them. I want to find it specs so I can decide if i want to go searching for this tube (can't seem to find a site to buy it on that actually has it in stock).

filament is 10 volts at 3.25 amps
plate dissipation=100w
max plate current=150mA
max grid current=50mA
amplification factor=12

From an old Radio Amateurs Handbook. No plate curves, just those specs and class B and C ratings. A pair with 3kv on the plates will give 320 watts into 10k ohms :)

Hokay, From a 1941 issue of "RCA Guide For Transmitting Tubes" I found this. The filament is 10V @ 3.25A similar to it's tetrode cousin the 860. (I love that price)

Attachments

• 852.jpg
    852.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 308
Don't think I'd be putting that much power into em but...wow...still searching for some curves but this is definitly a start. Anyone know where I could get them? Still trying to track a source down.
If that doesn't work then I'm going to make a big change of plans and go with the 860 (tetrode) as I can find curves and a source for it.

astouffer,
It's possible that you may have one, but more probable that you have an 860 since they were much more popular and they look the same except for an extra grid. I have several 860s.

lochness,
If you find any 852s or 860s, don't pay much. Because of their age they're almost sure to be gas bottles. Even if they're unused and look perfect. If it's only slightly gassy you may be able to pull it down by running it at low power for a time. But most times it's a total loss because it will suddenly ionize bright blue as plate voltage is brought up. I have a lot of experience with these old tubes.

Victor

HollowState

:( that sucks. I was mainly going with them (852, 860, 861) as they were among the oddest looking tubes I had ever seen. I still might pick a few up just to collect them for the nicknack shelf.

So does anyone know of any high power tubes that are particuarlly odd looking (or have any sort of personality to em') that I wouldn't have a gassy proplem with?
Its going to be for a big inefficient subwoofer's amp.

lochness said:
HollowState

:( that sucks. I was mainly going with them (852, 860, 861) as they were among the oddest looking tubes I had ever seen. I still might pick a few up just to collect them for the nicknack shelf.

So does anyone know of any high power tubes that are particuarlly odd looking (or have any sort of personality to em') that I wouldn't have a gassy proplem with?
Its going to be for a big inefficient subwoofer's amp.

Looks like a down rated 806. (Yeah I'd like to get a few of those, and they are just as odd) I wouldn't expect that these would be all that easy to find. Look at that u-factor: 12. RF practice tended to favour power triodes with higher u-factors for improved sensitivity. There are lots of these types available, and are frequently used to build Class A2 SETs, or used as zero bias, Class AB2 amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.