• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What's the difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking at cryogenically treated tubes on ebay. Matched quads EH KT88 and EH 6550. The kt88 are $114. and the 6550's are $94. The add says the 6550's are a more rugged design intended for guitar amps but still are a fine swap for a kt88. Is it worth saving $20. or is there a difference? Thanks

Personally I would not spend any extra money for cryogenically treated tubes. It's all snake oil. Regular 6550s are fine. Sprinkle them with Holly water and tell yourself they're better. Of course all the X-spurts will disagree on this one.

Victor (cynical...who me?)

edit: spelling

Personally I would not spend any extra money for cryogenically treated tubes. It's all snake oil. Regular 6550s are fine. Sprinkle them with Holly water and tell yourself they're better. Of course all the X-spurts will disagree on this one.

If your going to sprinkle them with Holy Water make sure their not hot. Oh, be sure to dry them off before using them.

My vote is for snake oil too.

My vote is for the CRYOSET tubes... they are $5 more... and snake oil or no... that company delivers great tubes. Either way.. you can't go wrong.

As for the 6550 debate... the difference is a 35watt vs 42 watt plate dissipation at more or less the same electrical properties (swappable within each tube's plate dissipation).

Their ebay id is salercs but you can get the tubes at the same price anytime at cryoset.com....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.