• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is Thier Away To Clear Up Distortion???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I WAS WONDERING IS THIER A WAY TO CLEAR UP THE DISTORTION
ON THIS PREAMP IN PUT AT 10 mV Pk I think thier about 10% to 40% distortion this has been only simulated stage

Attachments

• tube preamp.jpg
    tube preamp.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 397
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/093/1/12AU7A.pdf

the data sheet link i can only go as high as 13.5 volts unless know a better tube that works at 12 v or so????
iam not sure were the bais is also thier an example application on that datasheet think i need to change the design fit more like the one in the datasheet ????????

do not build this preamp unless want a distored signal

also numbered the parts

Attachments

• tube_preamp.jpg
    tube_preamp.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 296
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Don't be offended but you clearly don't know much at all about the use of tubes. They are not remotely like solid state devices and they can't be connected up in the same way. Rather than asking questions here, you might like to start by reading some informative literature until you understand it. There are plenty of helpful websites and I've found Max Robinson's 'Fun with Tubes' to be quite well-explained.

In all likelihood this device would not even turn "on". A triode tube operates somewhat like a depletion-mode n-channel FET. The 12v that you see is the reverse bias needed to operate the tube. The "drain" of a triode is is refered to as the plate; plates typically need 90- 250v in order to operate properly.

unclejed613 said:
or try something similar to the circuit shown below.
you don't have any grid bias in your circuit. that's why your preamp distorts.

Well, you don't have any grid bias for the top triodes either, or rather, you have grid leak bias of sorts. The capacitors should be replaced by grid stopper resistors on the order of 100 ohms...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.