Yaqin mc10L - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2007, 08:49 PM   #31
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

By the way Brian and anyone else viewing this post, watch out for a defect in any EL34's you buy. One major reason for trying the 6CA7's was the fact that I discovered to my horror that one of my Harma Cryogenic EL34's was not assembled correctly. I have been using it for months and it could have cracked, admitted air and probably done a lot of damage to my amp, just glad I spotted it in time. The attached photos show how the electrode to glass spacers should be, the second photo shows how one spacer was not in position. This made quite a large dimple in the thin glass tube, unfortunately my camera does not focus too well at short distance and the actual dimple size does not appear that big. But it is! The stress at high temperature at that small spot! Wow a lucky escape I think, check your spacers!
Cheers, Les

oops, photos not come up, will try again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (25.9 KB, 1204 views)
Old 19th November 2007, 09:35 PM   #32
gasman is offline gasman  England
diyAudio Member

Had the Svetlana 6n1p,s in for 5 days now and they will definately
be staying in, not that the stock 6n1,s were bad but the sound has improved with a smoother top end more controlled bass and midrange, I suppose to sum it up the sound is more fluid and easier to follow, Les, I inquired about chrome plating and it really wouldnt be cost effective unless a large batch was sent, I will let you know how I get on with the ventilation, I have decided to drill a few holes at the rear of the pot out of sight and tidy the job up with some grommets should be ok if I take my time and drill pilot holes, Cheers Brian. B.T.W checked the spacers in my EL34,s all ok.
Old 19th November 2007, 09:54 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Brian, Glad you found the change of 6N1's so effective, as I did.
I would never have believed the resultant change in general tone if I had not experienced it myself. Thanks for the info on the chrome plate and the adding of ventilation holes. My mains transformer pot gets quite warm after a long session. Just wondering if vents near the top would suffice and rely on convected cooler air coming up from beneath, typical chimney effect. Let us know if the pot is keeping much cooler.
Les
Old 20th November 2007, 01:41 AM   #34
fauxpas is offline fauxpas  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman
...using an MZHS valve output cd player, sounds just slightly lively at the top end at the moment but its early days yet
Can you keep us up-to-date about this CD Player? I was considering this player taking for granted the output tubes would give a warm natural sound.

Cheers
Old 20th November 2007, 04:46 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fauxpas

Can you keep us up-to-date about this CD Player? I was considering this player taking for granted the output tubes would give a warm natural sound.

Cheers
HI, yes i,ve had this player for about 14 months now , came with chinese 12ax7,s which I upgraded to seimens ecc 83,s which beefed up the bass and made the top end more fluid and slightly smoother, I wouldnt say there was a warm sound to this player but the sound to my ears is open and an honest reproduction of the source material, However I did find extra warmth with some tungsram ecc 83,s installed, I really liked these tubes but one went down so I will be searching for a replacement, Overall its a very good player, beats a lot of so called high end units I have owned and you can roll the tubes to your hearts content, I am trying a few different op amps at the moment. Cheers Brian.
Old 20th November 2007, 08:29 PM   #36
fauxpas is offline fauxpas  Australia
diyAudio Member

I wonder what this model would sound like with those tubes?

MHZS Current Model
Old 15th January 2008, 06:29 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Actually got round to fitting the fan grille to the hidden side of the mains transformer can. Surprisingly the can top gets even hotter than before which I put down to the chimney effect drawing more heat away from the transformer so has to be a good sign. Just wondering now if it is worth putting another grille at the base of the can to increase ambient air input.
Les
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mounted.jpg (11.4 KB, 963 views)
Old 15th January 2008, 07:05 PM   #38
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  United States
diyAudio Member

more than likely, it gets hotter because it has less airflow around it. Q = 1.08 CFM (Delta T). Q= heat, CFM = cubic feet per minute of air, Delta T = The temperature difference. If Q remains constant and the airflow goes down, the temperature difference must go up.
Old 15th January 2008, 07:21 PM   #39
t-head is offline t-head  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

I have Yaqin MC 300B. I already blew 2 caps in rectifier circuit. Now my mains input trannys buzzing pretty loudly...any suggestions? (other than the waste bin).

t
Old 15th January 2008, 07:53 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hi-Q
Actually got round to fitting the fan grille to the hidden side of the mains transformer can. Surprisingly the can top gets even hotter than before which I put down to the chimney effect drawing more heat away from the transformer so has to be a good sign. Just wondering now if it is worth putting another grille at the base of the can to increase ambient air input.
Les
Hi Les, Hope you had a nice xmas and new year, might be an idea to take the xmesh out of your ventilation grille and pack the feet up underneath the base of the amp by 15mm or so to simulate more airflow and see where that takes you before drilling the pot again, also the ventilation slots in the base below the mains transformer are quite narrow, maybe something could be done with those, Cheers for now ,Brian.

Hide this!Advertise here!