Yaqin mc10L - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2012, 12:25 AM   #161
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

0.03 seconds is 33 Hz, so yes, I would think it 'sloppy'.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:56 AM   #162
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post
Well, I found another article that compared the bass note decay time between various DF values. The difference in decay between DF>2000 and DF=1 is about 0.03 seconds. 3/100's of a second! I don't think that is even audible...at least not by me. So this has gotten me more interested in removing the GNF from the triode mode on my amp. I think I'll investigate adding a switch to turn off GNF for triode mode.
That example applies to speakers that have a system mechanical Q of 3 )on a quick scan). Those are out the window if you have speakers with a different mechanical Q. If for instance you have speakers with a mechanical Q of 0.5->0.7 or so (rare in today's world) the optimum damping is zero.

Amps & speakers have to be thot of as a system!

dave
Old 5th March 2012, 03:12 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Hi, Davepaul again after a few months break--- I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but--- I asked about a "hum/earth like" problem I was having [pages 12/13] and Jpeg kindly replied so I thought it only curtious to update. I tried the amp (MC 10 L) one last time befor starting swapping tubes round and the problem has never reoccured again, even after many hours of use!! Strange but true. New question -- has any one fitted the Screen Grid Stoppers/Current Limiters as suggested by Les Carpenter in his/her article " A Look at the Yaqin MC 10L" ?It has been suggested to me that these are a good safety idea.
Old 12th April 2012, 02:17 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

Quick newbie question on the tube amps: I have a Yaqin 10L - my first, but I am not sure about the speakers connection. I have four 8-ohm speakers and is wondering if I can connect a speaker to each terminal?
Old 18th May 2012, 09:12 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Hi Tweakers,

I have replaced the stock EL34 valves with SVETLANA 6CA7 with nice improvement especially with the soundstaging.

Next to go are the four (V1-4) 6NIs. Any recommendations please as I am a bit lost what to choose

Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 11:44 PM   #166
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

I firmly believe the choice of 6N1 is very much down to personal taste. I have tried Svetlana 6N1P, they were an improvement but not a patch on the first quad set I bought. These were date stamped 1982 and instead of 6N1P, they were marked in Russian characters as 6H1N-EB with an additional OTK1 marking. These are the sweetest so far to my ears but I think everyone who has tried swapping out the originals will agree that you will certainly hear a difference.

BTW From feedback I have been receiving, it may not be long before I re-wire the heaters and fit 12AT7's :-)

Last edited by Hi_Q; 18th May 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 19th May 2012, 12:21 AM   #167
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info

Also look forward to hearing about your rewiring,

Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 02:54 AM   #168
jkorten is offline jkorten  United States
diyAudio Member

@Hi-Q - not sure the 12AT7 would work as the mu is different from the 6922/6N1P type of tube. Wouldn't you change the DC operating point of the amplifer stage and splitter? I bet some other resistors would have to change. Anybody out there looked at the 12AT7 version of the Yaqin MC10?
Old 7th August 2012, 05:34 AM   #169
atsc is offline atsc  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoelho View Post
Hi All tube guru's

Need some advice, I recently purchased the yaqin MC-10L

3. Has any one used the 10L with a magnepan MMG 4 ohm, how is the sound and is worth buying

lcoelho
They sound just wonderful with Magenepan MMG's. So natural it is hard to fault. My wife (who knows nothing about audio) loves the sound and a friend also commented. I managed to get a pair of near new maggies and immediately went to find a tube amp. The Yaqin suited them so well...
Old 8th August 2012, 01:20 AM   #170
lcoelho is offline lcoelho  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Magnepan's MMG

That is wonderful news, i have the yaqin but my MMG are still unpacked(waiting to move to new place)
are you using a sub also

Hide this!Advertise here!