Yaqin mc10L - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2012, 12:02 PM   #141
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

You might find that pin 6 is not used.

Have a look at the JJ for instance http://www.hebertech.com/datasheet/jj/el34.html

The Mullard http://www.hebertech.com/datasheet/mullard/el34.html notice pin 6 is denoted as NC (not connected)

Again with the Telefunken http://www.hebertech.com/datasheet/telefunken/el34.html

Also, for the 12AX7 replacement have you considered the JAN-GE 5751 http://thetubestore.com/jange5751.html although the Preferred Series 7025 looks very good also.

Last edited by data; 27th January 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 27th January 2012, 12:46 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

Just swapped them in, no dramas, obviously had to readjust the bias. Also installed the Preferred 7025's. Listening now.
Old 27th January 2012, 12:55 PM   #143

Let me know how the 7025's perform
Old 27th January 2012, 11:33 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

Will do, I'm not sure about the Tung-Sol EL34s.. I'm not great at assessing the sound when I can't listen back to back. My first impressions are that there is less impact and less detail, so I'm going to go back to the Shuguangs.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:15 AM   #145

Give them time to run-in, they get better over time initially.
Old 28th January 2012, 02:41 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by data View Post
Edit: While my amp was still a Yaqin I replaced the .1uf coupling caps with Mundorf silver & oils, and replaced the resistors in the signal path with Kawame's, this was after Triode strapping the EL34's and severing the GNF line, all this made marked improvements to my ears. Although reducing the output power.
Severing the GNF would really up the output impedance and demo the OPT's damping factor. Didn't doing this trash the bottom end?
Old 28th January 2012, 03:12 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post
Severing the GNF would really up the output impedance and demo the OPT's damping factor. Didn't doing this trash the bottom end?
After triode strapping the EL34's it was done as all it did was add distortion throughout.

The bottom end was better, as overall the the amount of distortion was less, and it also gave the sense of greater gain.

Edit: I'm using the same transformers now with a new (better circuit), Triode strapped with only local feedback, and I have a better sound than I ever have.

Last edited by data; 28th January 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 29th January 2012, 01:26 AM   #148
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The triode (if we ignore Nelson's new devices) are the most linear amplifing devices made by man, so one can get away with no GNF.

dave
Old 29th January 2012, 05:04 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The triode (if we ignore Nelson's new devices) are the most linear amplifing devices made by man, so one can get away with no GNF.

dave
The 10L doesn't use triodes though, it uses power pentodes which have MUCH higher plate resistance than triodes. Higher plate resistance = higher output impedance, which if not rectified via GNF, = poor damping factor which = boomy, mushy bass...or so I thought.
Old 29th January 2012, 05:29 AM   #150
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Easy enuff to wire them into triodes, (lets not get into level shifters instead of a resistor).

MY PP EL34 has a switch to toggle them between triode & pentode.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!