• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6H30 equivalents

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A quick Q for you all - I've searched a few places and can't find an answer:

Is there a drop in equivalent for the 6H30 dual triode?

ie if I have an amp with one, what can I drop in - I don't mind a bit of gain change but don't really want to go messing with pin outs or bias settings/anode loads etc

The tube seems highly rated, but availability seems limited.

Anyone?

Fran

Thanks guys,

the background to this is: I was going to build a aikido with BUF634 as a headphone amp. Even though I had most of the parts, I was still going to end up spending 150-200 or thereabouts plus build it. And I don't love chassis work!

Then I remember my little chinese SE headphone amp and go back to the makers website. Turns out they have 2 SE OTL new models out - one using 6H30 tubes as power tubes. Its a bit dearer than the other one which uses 6N6 as power tubes and also is fitted with some boutique caps etc.

So my questoin was WRT whether I would be able to get replacement tubes handy down the line.

Both amps use 5654 as driver (with dip switches to allow use of EF92, EF91, CV138, CV131, WE301A/B, GE5654, M8100, CV4010, EF95, 6JI)

The cheaper one uses 6H6PI as power (seemingly equivalent of ECC99, E182CC, and possibly 6H30) whereas the dearer one uses 6H30PI as driver.

Gain is switchable using dip switches and is suitable for impedance ranges 32-600 - in other words AKG to sennheiser!

Info is here

I know I should be building it, but at those kind of prices its hard to pass it up...

Fran

The 6N6p is about the same as a 5687 -- so a little less gain than the 6h30. But, it is a very good tube, and last time I bought any they were about $2 each on ebay -- best bargain going just about. My experience is that they can be a little warm and syrupy, but I think this goes away when used push-pull.

The only real reason they are cheaper, I think, is that no one like BAT has picked them up yet. K&K uses them in their DAC, though.

As for your BUF634 -- don't use them. A) you will need a big electrolytic between them and your phones as the offset from them when used open look is high, and B) they sound dreadful. Just awful. There is no point in even worrying about what your aikido might sound like if you sully it with these horrid chips. If you want to do a hybrid, head over the Headwize -- there is soon to be a group buy (probably in the next few weeks) for a high current buffer with trimmable offset specifically designed for phones. By all accounts, it is a very good thing. Or, if you are impatient, look at RJM's 3 channel mosfet buffer. Here's mine: http://www.ecp.cc/3sz.html

dsavitsk said:
The 6N6p is about the same as a 5687 -- so a little less gain than the 6h30. But, it is a very good tube, and last time I bought any they were about $2 each on ebay -- best bargain going just about. My experience is that they can be a little warm and syrupy, but I think this goes away when used push-pull.

For best results 6N30 demand anode current aprox 20-30 mA with low B+ 100-120V.
As for 6N6P I prefer them too. Seems sounds softer. Very good for PP driver, all right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.