• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What to do with these.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive got 20 of these submini 6111's. around $1 each so how could i pass it up. Im thinking of building a two tube hybrid guitar amp head, something like the Nano Head. I was thinking maybe Volume, Tone, and Drive controls. any ideas?

oct19001.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Send them to me for immediate disposal! :D

You got quite a good deal on them.

They have a mu of 20 so they won't give you the gain of a 12AX7, but could be used in the tone control circuitry, and other places you have indicated.

They are often used in cd players, and tuner solid state to tube conversions as they have just about the right gain, are very quiet, have excellent linearity, and are long lived.

You got quite the deal, typically they go for as much $5 - $7 each, and I've seen them at >$10 USD each although I don't know how many actually get sold at that price.

Worst case you can put them on eBay and make a nice little killing.

Higher mu types like the 5744 (mu of 70, single triode) might also be of interest and are still pretty cheap.

Thanks for the reply! I got them on ebay and noticed the guy selling another lot of 20 with a starting price of 25$. Thats more then twice of my winning bid before shipping! ha!

I guess I have a few winter projects on hand. If anyone has info on places people have used these before in DIY that would be appreciated. So far ive found a phono pre, and a Multi Hybrid Headphone Amp. but I still like the idea of a mini guitar head.

Seeing as this is only my second tube project (first was a soha) Im still a big n00b.

The mu is too low for a stomp box application. So your probably better off giving them to me :D

In all honesty if you have any interest in trading some of those for 6021's or 6112's, let me know. They would probably do well for tone contols, as the low Rp and high Gm would give low noise. I've yet to hear a submini that didn't sound excellent(ok, some pentodes when triode strapped). They can't handle large voltage, so in amps, their best paired with low Rp output tubes such as 6C33C's, 6AS7G's, ect. That's if you want to run everything off one supply rail which simplifies things.

I'm currently building an OTL using all submini's, except the output tubes of course.

That's a cool tube. Ultimate mu of a 12AU7 or 6SN7, but twice both the plate and grid (trans)conductance. Moderate heater draw, some of these late tubes are really very applicable. I'm using 6GK5 and 6T4 in different applications, and their goodness is audible.

Use these wee beasties in good health; you scored.

I hate you,

Poinz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.