Point-to-Point, Pointers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2007, 06:51 AM   #21
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

Jonathan,
I searched point-to-point before and that's all that came up was vs. PCB stuff. Interesting reads, but it wasn't really helpful as far as tips for doing good P2P wiring.
Old 20th October 2007, 07:35 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Yeh. Fair enough. I'd be interested in any results you get. If I get to "The Big City" one day I'll see if a uni' library has magazines with DIY stuff going back to the '60's where they actually spell this sort of material out for newcomers to the valve scene. For instance the UK "Wireless World" from that era would be a start and I imagine "Audio" in the States is another. Here in Oz we have a good local one so I might make that a holiday project in the new year. Just takes time...... Jonathan
Old 20th October 2007, 09:09 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Apply a logical approach to layout.
Even if it doesn't look beautiful - if your logical - it will still sound beautiful.

My PP builds still look like rats nests (though they are getting better), but I now rarely have any issues with hum or oscillation and I run a sensitive system.

Shoog
Old 20th October 2007, 09:28 AM   #24
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwellerson
Hi all,

Well I do my "P to P" boards this way, as shown below: there is a lot of tinkering, ultra high patience on this but in the end the results are fine.
No noises, no hum and optimum strength for all supported components.
And excellent sound.
I use a 2mm fenolite board (with tag strips) just below the amp's top plate.
The board is supported on aluminum L shapes fixed to sides/front of the chassis.
You can see many other details and projects at:
http://vacuumtuberesearch.multiply.com/

[ ]s
Ricardo

Ricardo, your work looks excellent.

And now an example of the wrong way: (about half way down the page) http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/s...lcabernet.html
Old 20th October 2007, 10:15 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
I will use enamelled Cu-wire as it is stiff makes nice 90 degree bends and keeps components approx where I left them.

An advice I got from Russian friends was to cover all solder joints and exposed metal wire with shellack.
Old 20th October 2007, 10:39 AM   #26
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sensible advice: http://www.aikenamps.com/PCBorPTP.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!