• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triode recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interested in some tube recommendations for a 300B driver stage, essentially a Lynn Olson Karna (transformer coupled PP).

I am considering a design similar to K&K's, who uses the 6BX7GT double triode. Very low rp, octal socket, common tube, good price.

Are there any similar triodes I could use, but in singles? I haven't had the best luck finding reasonably balanced triodes in the same glass, and would prefer to buy singles such that matching is easier. Yes, I could go with triode strapped pentodes, but for now, are there any triode options?

Kind of like picking the 6J5 instead of a 6SN7.

Thanks.

The 6CK4 and 6AH4 have essentially the same pinout; this is good. I can design the amp for a little extra filament capacity, and attempt some tube swapping.

I'll likely use an adjustable CCS in the tail, so could swap out the tubes and adjust current to suit.

Good suggestions. I like the idea of using TV tubes; they seem readily available (based on the prices I see) and one triode per tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.