Output transformers ? sound quality ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2007, 05:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Output transformers ? sound quality ?

I'm on the hunt for good quality p-p makes. Price obviously reflected, but welcome input opinions.
Sowter types are common....who's using'em and..what about other vendors good & bad ??

richj
Old 18th October 2007, 05:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've been using mainly Lundahl stuff for a few years. It's excellent at reasonable prices.
Old 18th October 2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of people like the Dyna Clones Triode Electronics offers for budget iron. Especialy the Z565 model. It may not be so economic on that side of the pond though.
Old 18th October 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweeker
A lot of people like the Dyna Clones It may not be so economic on that side of the pond though.

I missed the Dyna on the triode site...The 451 suits my application nicely. For sure, the postage will cost more than the transformer. Since it isn't my money = tough.

Taa.

richj
Old 18th October 2007, 06:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm afraid I dont see a 451 clone on offer by Triode Electronics. Closest I see to it is 431.
Old 18th October 2007, 07:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweeker
Closest I see to it is 431.

I was hasty with my enthusiam...youre' quite right. thanks

richj
Old 18th October 2007, 07:40 PM   #7
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Transformer design still seems to be a bit of an art. Some Sowters are excellent, some less so. People generally consider Hammond to be, how shall we say, economy? Yet I thought the measured performance of one of their 1608 transformers was excellent.
Old 18th October 2007, 07:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Check out the Silk Transformers at www.sacthailand.com. The are very good sounding well made at reasonable cost.
Old 18th October 2007, 08:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
Transformer design still seems to be a bit of an art. Some Sowters are excellent, some less so. People generally consider Hammond to be, how shall we say, economy? Yet I thought the measured performance of one of their 1608 transformers was excellent.
I've got a Hammond 1620. While perfectly serviceable, I've recently discovered it does not seem to compare to a Dynaco Z565. I'm still in the testing stage, hopeful that perhaps I have a correctable flaw in the design or a faulty tube.

On the positive side, the Hammond cost me less than half the price of a Z565. For the most part, the Hammond sounds just fine.
Old 18th October 2007, 08:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Plitron offers fancy high end toroidal PP iron to 400 watts. PAT-4146-00 may be close to what your looking for. Not cheap.

PAT 4146-00 Application: EL34 150 W
This 150 Watt high power Push Pull output transformer,with a primary impedance of 2.2 kOhms and a secondary impedance of 8 Ohms with center tap (cathode feedback) and with 43 % Utra Linear taps, is intended for six EL34 or KT66 or 6L6 tubes at moderately high voltages (between 350 and 450 Volts). The -3dB (1 watt) bandwidth is from 0.6Hz to 118 kHz while the -3dB power bandwidth starts at 15 Hz, allowing this transformer to be used in applications where full and strong bass response is essential.

http://www.plitron.com/shopping/specs/414600.pdf

PAT 4147 might work if you dont need UL, is much cheaper.

Hide this!Advertise here!