• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Parallel feed OT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LOADS.

Hi Bas,

What is a typical load that a preamplifier "sees" is that 47k?

For a MM phono stage that would be the standard input impedance in conjunction with say,100 to 150 pF capacitance to load the cartridge.

In my case..the power transformer input rca has a grid leak resistor of 47k..

Errr,do you mean a step up xformer for a MC cart.?

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
I SEE...

Hi,

So I thought the load it sees would be the poweramp?

On the secondary side it will look at the input impedance of the amp + the cable's properties.

So,in order to drive all this properly the secondry side of your step down xformer should be an order of magnitude lower than the input impedance of the amp.
Often a value of 600 Ohm is chosen for this as this is the pro standard for balanced operation.

Cheers,;)

Hi again and thanks again Frank. ;-)

Ok so as this is gonna be a preamp...

This is what I should tell my tranny builder.. :

1.) SE transformer
2.) The core may be fairly small...no DC and fairly small voltages. (Maybe around 1 watt max?)
3.)Output impedance 600ohm or lower?
4.) Primary or reflected impedance as high as possible without affecting hf response. (say should only drop of after 25kHz)

Cheers,
Bas

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
PARAFEED OPT.

Hi,

1.) SE transformer
2.) The core may be fairly small...no DC and fairly small voltages. (Maybe around 1 watt max?)
3.)Output impedance 600ohm or lower?
4.) Primary or reflected impedance as high as possible without affecting hf response. (say should only drop of after 25kHz)

I'm pretty sure that the xformer builder we have in mind has done this before.

2)If it must be a parafed job than,yes.

3)Going lower than 600 Ohm will only add to the step down ratio,and degrade performance IMO.

4)Yes,something like 15K should be fine.Bandwidth as large as possible,I'd say.

Ciao,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.