Fisher 500C troubleshooting - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2007, 11:35 PM   #1
mholz is offline mholz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fisher 500C troubleshooting

After hearing some surprisingly loud pops coming from my Fisher 500C, I cut the power, opened up the chassis and found that 3 of the four cathode safety resistors installed on the power tubes had blown.

Since both channels are affected, I'm assuming this isn't a case of a tube going south (the tubes are original), but something in the power supply.

Any tips on what to check first? Maybe the cap can, which is hasn't been replaced?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 16th October 2007, 11:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Was this the first time you had powered it up?

Jack
Old 17th October 2007, 02:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My bet: bias supply cap or rectifier. And the UNtoasted cathode resistor may be open as well.
Old 17th October 2007, 03:01 PM   #4
mholz is offline mholz  United States
diyAudio Member

No, I've been enjoying it for the past six months or so. I got it from a guy who did some standard component updates and upgrades, including replacing the selenium rectifier. The cap can looks untouched, so I figured that might be the first thing that would go.

I'll check the bias supply cap, though. Thanks for the tip!
Old 17th October 2007, 07:07 PM   #5
KaDe is offline KaDe  Germany
diyAudio Member

What was the selenium rectifier replaced with ?
With a solid state diode bridge you will get way too high B+ :
- Too high voltage for the caps and the tubes to fail as well -
Old 19th October 2007, 02:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Also could be those 120K plate resistors located in the tone circuit. I would definitely replace those safety resistors first.

~~~John~~~
Old 28th April 2010, 02:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

I have a 500c as well and I am getting no output from one channel, but there is no visible signs of any problem. I have 7591a tubes in one channel and tried to use some hammond 7591 tubes in the other as I thought they are compatible. The hammonds on power up were hotter than the other tubes so I shut it down. Swapped the good tubes in the other channel and now no output and they seems hotter than they were in the other sockets. Any thoughts on this problem?? What to look for? This was my father's 500c and it is good shape. I hope I have no output trans problem. Please help. thanks. mojo

Hide this!Advertise here!