• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Decware ZSLA buffer -- worth cloning?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about a first real tube project -- and had for a while been looking at a single ended triode, unity gain tube buffer/linestage by Decware. It seems to be discontinued now, although the schematic (pdf) is still available. It looks fairly simple too with a very low parts count, -- perhaps decent project for a tubes newcomer, and I already have some of the parts in the box.

front.jpg

More archived info here, and a review is here.

Was just wondering if anyone could cast an eye on the details, and whether there were any thoughts on whether this would be a worthwhile project? I don't need a preamp with gain, although a tube buffer may be what is called for for the discreet output of my dac and in the middle of a solid state system.

thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• decware zsla-1 schematic.pdf
    18.5 KB · Views: 353
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Basically a cathode follower... it will present a high impedance input and a low impedance output. Whether it makes things sounds better depends on how much you gain from the impedance buffering vrs what is lost from the CF (miss piggy as Allen Wirght says)

CCS on the bottom of the CF will make a BIG improvement. (or a big B- for a long tail)

dave

planet10 said:
Whether it makes things sounds better depends on how much you gain from the impedance buffering vrs what is lost from the CF (miss piggy as Allen Wirght says)

Thx Dave - seems different though to how Decware marketed it, as a preamp that makes things sound better -- I assume by smoothing harsh sources by providing some tube 'warmth' (hate to use that term though) to a SS system, as well as providing better drive for long ICs...

Well, given I have some of the parts and the rest would be cheap, I think I'll go ahead and give it go anyway -- then perhaps think of mods like a CCS, which at this stage I'm googling and working out how to implement in the schematic. The upshot is that it seems to be the simplest schematic I've found...
Any other opinions would be welcome though. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.