• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

way to estimate choke current rating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like the title says, is there a way to estimate the current rating of a filter choke? I have a bunch of old chokes and have measured the inductance and resistance but figuring out the current rating has me stumped. Maybe try and compare it to something in a vintage manual?

Hi,

Wire size is the only true way to tell, unless you have a brand/model number someone might have data for.

Some manufacturers wind "hot", some "cold". New Hammond chokes for example are wound a lot hotter (higher DCR for current rating) than their old ones.

Do you have a list of brands or numbers? Throwing them out here is a good idea.

Cheers!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
When I had that problem I used a variable CCS to pass current through the chokes whilst simultaneously measuring their inductance. When the inductance fell even more (it always falls with current), I figured I'd found the current rating. Surprisingly, some quite small chokes turned out to be quite good.

Geek: These chokes are second hand from scrapped tvs or hifi units. I suppose the tube compliment of the hifi could be an indication. Like a quad of 6V6 outputs.

EC8010: Sounds like a good plan. How were you measuring inductance under load? Using AC with a scope? Keeping an eye on the temp would be another low tech way.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
astouffer said:
GHow were you measuring inductance under load? Using AC with a scope?

No, my Marconi TF2700 bridge allows me to apply external DC whilst measuring inductance.

Attachments

• woden 292007 iss4.gif
    woden 292007 iss4.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 212
EC8010 said:
When I had that problem I used a variable CCS to pass current through the chokes whilst simultaneously measuring their inductance. When the inductance fell even more (it always falls with current), I figured I'd found the current rating. Surprisingly, some quite small chokes turned out to be quite good.

D'OH! Of course!

That's how I test new choke designs.

Here's a DIY circuit that can help:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Filter_Choke_Analyzer.html

I used similar only with a CCS as EC suggests. Make it a real HV transistor for the CCS though, well above the DC + peak, lest you have a room full of smoke :dead:

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.