Best SE output transformer for 300b - shootout - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2007, 07:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Why don't you order trannies from Heyboer? You can have them made to your EXACT specs and they will charge you only $20-$30 more than an Edcor. Why buy one off the shelf and make compromises? I've been ordering from them for a couple years now, outputs and power. I am always completely satisfied with the results

~~~John~~~
Old 16th October 2007, 08:34 PM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've had pretty good luck with Electra-Print myself and can recommend them. They recently made transformers to spec for my headphone amplifier, both the 5K:32 ohm outputs and the power transformer.

I've heard good things about Heyboer too.

The Tamura F-5002 Amorphous cores are in a class by themselves, otherwise I tend to source things "locally." (By that I mean this continent.)

James makes some nice iron, some of it reasonably priced.

Hashimoto is another that makes good, if expensive iron. (At least here.)

Bartolucci makes great stuff from experience, expensive.

Might as well add Magnequest, great stuff too, and a range of products spanning the budget range.
Old 17th October 2007, 02:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

hi,

if U like the amorphous OPT probably I can help U.

I was OEM some audio transformers to japan audio shops.

this is nickel base Nano amorphous core OPT.

with 6N furukawa wire.

take a look, I als had 5N mono crystalline silver wire OPT but its too expensive,,.

take a look for test result with 5002, 5002 was worst in bass.

I use tango X-series winding to nickel core & solve this problem already.

& me.

thx

thomas

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th October 2007, 02:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

my OPT,

test by audio precision.

check the band-width & distortion please.

thx

thomas

Old 17th October 2007, 02:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

cross section area of Nickel base Nano amorphous core.

Old 17th October 2007, 02:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

4N monocrystalline silver wire with polyurthene coating( low leakage & low capacitance of the coil).

thxz

thomas

Old 17th October 2007, 03:34 PM   #17
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Thomas,
While I appreciate the fact that you are trying to provide me and others with an alternative to the F-5002 it isn't really considered best forum etiquette to bombard the discussion with a multi post commercial plug for your products as good as they may be. A single post advising people that you have something similar to offer and a link to the information would be much more considerate - otherwise you should post this sort of stuff in the for sale area.

Note that this is just my personal opinion, and others may (probably) disagree.

And yes I am well aware of the technical limitations of the F-5002, to my ears it is just the best compromise I have ever heard.

Testing at 30ma in an application that will operate at 60 - 80mA does not tell me what I need to know. IIRC The tamura charts are with primary dc of 60mA or higher depending on application. The maximum ratings for this transformer are 100mA, and IIRC the published specifications are based on this current level.

Old 18th October 2007, 05:59 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

hi kevinkr,

I was dealer of tango & tamura in hong kong. I resell their OPT & also help them to do something. so I also know some more about their design & understand the weak & advantage of them.

I understand that U use your ear to compare is a good judgement for the performance of the OPT.But in my test I found 5002 in distortion area still can improve little. probably U disagree. But this is my opinion. Kevin , if U had some comment for this. Hope U share about this. I was reseach about how to improve the distortionof OPT.

I like test compare which one is better in which area. that why I continous to use cyro copper wire & Violin vanish in here.

Pls understand I still not say the price. This probably not the commerical. But if U think this is commerical I will not post any in here. As a diyers. always like to continous test & found out which one is better & best price cost ratio.

Audio precison almost the most accurate test meter for OPT band width. Do U really use 80ma or 100ma test for 5002?

if U try this. I will say U cannot reach the real post data as factory!

U can try.

I test tailor made tango( special NY-15-3.5S, X-3.5S, Tamura 2007,7002,5002 etc, hashimoto OPT & change different material of layered material & wire for their reference.

I did this only hope to find a good but resonable price goods for diyers. If all item was realy expensive. I though not too many diyers can afford for them.

Do U test AN kondo Ongaku OPT already, I broken on AN kondo Ongaku already& hope to find the different design to full fill my data already.

But....BTW, sorry to make U unhappy!!!!

If I action made U unhappy. Many sorry for my post. many sorry.

I will left this message.

Bye bye.

thx

thomas
Old 18th October 2007, 07:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

hi kevin,

so sorry to U. But hope U understand I was not promote for my item.

if I promote , I will back to trade post of groups buy area.

thx

thomas
Old 18th October 2007, 08:09 AM   #20
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Tube-lover: don't worry! Kevin was just being straight and pointing out the facts. You have not caused offence. People now understand that you offer an alternative, and that is a good thing. Do not run away, as your experience is very interesting to the many people that read this forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!