Mystery ST-70 Driver Board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Pyre is offline Pyre  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pyre
Default Mystery ST-70 Driver Board

Does anyone recognize this ST-70 driver board? It has 4 wima .47 uf caps and I believe it takes four 6DG8 tubes. It has no markings on it what so ever. I am sure I could figure out how to hook it up but a schematic would sure make it easier.

Thanks in advance

Shane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driver.jpg (14.4 KB, 1425 views)
Old 13th October 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It looks similar to the "Tube God" board sold by the late Harvey 'Gizmo' Rosenberg. I have one in my parts pile (the first mod kit I ever bought!), it's close but not exact. Mine used turrets for the off-board connections, and the layout is similar but not exact. Maybe yours is a later version?

The circuit used 6DJ8's in a cascode differential amp. Similar to Curcio's circuit, but without CCS loading. I doubt that I still have a schematic.

Bill
Old 13th October 2007, 06:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ye4s it it the first tube god stereo 70 input board - if you add a ccs it is actually better than the later cross coupled version
Old 13th October 2007, 07:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

I thought it was a Fuchs Audio board as he used to make a similar board a while back. I emailed Andy a picture on friday but have not heard back from him yet.

Has anyone a picture of Tube God Board?
Old 14th October 2007, 03:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyre
Has anyone a picture of Tube God Board?

From the depths of time, here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1020437.jpg (73.0 KB, 1226 views)
Old 14th October 2007, 06:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

So it turns out that it is indeed an Andy Fuchs board. I got an email back from Andy with a diagram and instructions on how to hook it up. Now thatís what I call customer service, supporting a product 20 years later that I bought for 10 bucks off eBay.

It sure does look very similar to the Tube God driver board. Maybe both were based on a similar concept that was popular at the time. I notice the Tube God board does not have any caps on the board. Were they taken off or not part of the circuit?
Old 14th October 2007, 06:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Didn't Andy Fuchs work for Harvey in the early days of NYAL ? And the boards was designed by Brian Clark (I'm guessing)? It would may sense if they share the same "family" tree.
Old 14th October 2007, 11:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quinnling,
I know Andy, and yes, he did work with Harvey back when. And yes, I do believe Brian Clark designed the board/circuit. It's a dual cascode 6DJ8 differential with cross coupling at the upper grids. The tail resistor went to a negative source derived from the 5V recitfier winding which wasn't used being replaced with SS diodes. At least in the version I saw.

I saw Andy earlier this year and he's manufacturing some nice looking tube guitar amplifiers in a facility not too far from his old GSI digs.

Victor
Old 15th October 2007, 12:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyre
I notice the Tube God board does not have any caps on the board. Were they taken off or not part of the circuit?

The coupling caps (orange drops) were a bit large for the allowed space, so they're installed under the board.

Bill
Old 7th November 2007, 03:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to FUCHSAUDIO Send a message via Yahoo to FUCHSAUDIO
Default the "skinny"

The boards were made and sold originally by NYAL, and later were sold by my company GSI, after leaving NYAL.

The original boards were based on a design by John Syder, and we later changed the circuit to include cross-coupling and a discrete constant current sources. That design work was done by Brian Clark.

We also made another board with a 12AX7 and a 6FQ7 as cascade diff pairs as well. I'd offer the circuit here, but it's in a notebook I cannot currently locate. I've moved a bunch of times since then (over 25 years ago), so forgive me if I don't have the data readily on hand.

If there's any serious interest, I would be able to replicate the boards and sell them but it looks like this market has shrunken to a small one !

Hide this!Advertise here!