Aikido problems!!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2007, 06:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Aikido update......... just finished the circuit board version and sounds great!!. Using battery supply for the heaters. Do i have to worry about the catode to heater voltage with the floating battery supply??
No problems that I can see so far. I'm using cheap Sovtek 6sn7s' for both stages does anyone think I would get a significant improvement with new Tungsols?

RG
Old 18th October 2007, 09:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok ....my opinion on 6SN7 tubes

First choice is probably 5692's

Second choice is a Russian 1578 (6sn7) Unique military Development

Check ebay # 250174965122

Absolutely dead quiet and great sounding.

Glad your Aikido is quiet.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:37 PM   #13
jayme is offline jayme  United States
diyAudio Member

I prefer the ElectroHarmonix 6SN7s over the new TungSols. They are both made by New Sensor, but the EHs sound better balanced to me, and have a deeper/tighter low end.
Old 19th October 2007, 04:25 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am glad that your Aikido sounds great. I too have had many issues with hum and the cause may be due to many issues.

As for typos in JB's instructions, I just downloaded the newest version (Rev-A) PDF. One thing is that my older PDF mentions are the caps for the heater circuitry. These are optional if using AC but seem to be required for DC. The PDF that I used for assembly and part selection states that 10-100uF electrolytic should be used with voltage greater than heater voltage. I am using 22uF rated at 50V.

HOWEVER, the new version states that for these caps, the rating should be 100uF to 1000uF. It also calls these caps C5, which must be a typo, as the actual C5 is already listed correctly as 0.1-10uF. The second listing for C5 is 100uF to 1000uF, 16V electrolytic (the part designation must be a typo).

So, is 22uF for the heater shunting caps sufficient? Could this value be too low and result in some of my hum issues? I am using rectified DC for the heaters.

Charlie
Old 19th October 2007, 07:12 AM   #15
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the 2nd C5 is a typo. It is probably C7.
The DC heater shunting caps are C7-C10. Your cap value should be fine especially your heater supply is regulated.
Old 19th October 2007, 08:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do i have to worry about the catode to heater voltage with the floating battery supply??
I think a battery supply on the heaters is a waste of time. I would connect simple AC heaters (grounded or referenced to half +B) and see if you lose performance - I doubt it very much.

Shoog
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:44 AM   #17
minhaj is offline minhaj  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Dear Thread Originator,

Which tube sounds great is second issue, first concern is your
safety and safe and functional circuit Battery heater supply, DC heater supply, AC heater supply is your choice, BUT pls ref your DC supply to 1/4 of B+, not 1/2 B+ as my friend suggests. This is so because the uppoer triode cathod is at 1/2 B+.

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!