• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve Power Supplies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1- does anyone know of a good source of information regarding the design of valve amp power supplies?

2- when designing a valve power supply do i work out the desired current from the tubes idle current.

3- what do i do if i need 2 different HT / B+ voltages at differnt currents from the same supply.

any help greatly appreciated,,,,,

soundbadger

"Valve Amplifiers," 3rd edition, Morgan Jones. Very readable explanations and oriented strictly towards audio. Modern.

"Radiotron Designer's Handbook" 4th edition. Classic text, not audio-specific, very terse. In this area, it's already out-dated, but very much worth reading.

"Electronic Designer's Handbook" Landee. Again, fairly out of date, but beautifully clear. The best review of tube-based regulators I've seen.

I have to second SY's recommendation of Morgan Jones' book. When I built my first "from scratch" valve amp it was the power supply design that took a lot of time. Reading through "Valve Amplifiers" makes things much clearer.

Also download PSUD II from Duncan Amps. It is a very nice power supply design tool. Once you understand how the PS works you can try different permutations using PSUD and be pretty confident in your supply before you heat the soldering iron.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.