Which valves for MF CD-T - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2007, 04:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which valves for MF CD-T

Hi All,
I am new to this site, but need your expert advice!
I have a Musical Fidelity CD-T, the 'Frog-Eye' CD player with valve output, (although I think they are buffers).... I honestly know very little about valves, just know that my lovely CD-T has stopped working after 15 years of perfect service. It sounds like it playing through mud, or like a portable stereo running out of batteries. It has been suggested that one of the valves has packed up. although they both still glow. I have swapped them round and the really poor sounding channel does change over.

Anyway, it uses Teonex ECC88 valves, and I was reading a thread on this site from 2005 which recommended other valves, such as Miniwatt, or Russian valves.

I run the CD-T through the MF 'The Preamp' and bridged Typhoon Power amps, with silver interconnects and Audionote Indigo Speaker cable into my lovely Rogers LS3/5-A's, sitting on very heavy sand-filled steel four-leg Stands (copied from a Foundation design) Sound is lovely, but lacks bass. Will different valves improve the Bass or do I need to look elsewhere to solve that one?

There are some Audio Innovations ECC88's on Ebay, or some Mullard cv5358 ECC88 vintage valves.

I just want to get my CD-T working again, but if I can improve it at the same time, then that would be a bonus.

Regards,
Paul
Old 7th October 2007, 04:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just want to get my CD-T working again, but if I can improve it at the same time, then that would be a bonus.

EASY! Current production JJ E88CC/6922s sound good and are modestly priced. AAMOF, the JJ tube sounds better than some NOS, like Philips JAN.

Jim McShane is a dealer who offers fair prices and good service.

Hide this!Advertise here!