• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which valves for MF CD-T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I am new to this site, but need your expert advice!
I have a Musical Fidelity CD-T, the 'Frog-Eye' CD player with valve output, (although I think they are buffers).... I honestly know very little about valves, just know that my lovely CD-T has stopped working after 15 years of perfect service. It sounds like it playing through mud, or like a portable stereo running out of batteries. It has been suggested that one of the valves has packed up. although they both still glow. I have swapped them round and the really poor sounding channel does change over.

Anyway, it uses Teonex ECC88 valves, and I was reading a thread on this site from 2005 which recommended other valves, such as Miniwatt, or Russian valves.

I run the CD-T through the MF 'The Preamp' and bridged Typhoon Power amps, with silver interconnects and Audionote Indigo Speaker cable into my lovely Rogers LS3/5-A's, sitting on very heavy sand-filled steel four-leg Stands (copied from a Foundation design) Sound is lovely, but lacks bass. Will different valves improve the Bass or do I need to look elsewhere to solve that one?

There are some Audio Innovations ECC88's on Ebay, or some Mullard cv5358 ECC88 vintage valves.

I just want to get my CD-T working again, but if I can improve it at the same time, then that would be a bonus.

Regards,
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.