• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

using 24G and 3B28 in an od ball amp.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some direction. How would I go about designing an amp using 24G's as the output, and 3b28's as the rectifiers? Filament currents arn't a problem, i can find a way to deal with those, this is more or less a kind of franken stein project, or just something to make people nervous when they enter my little work shop.:devilr: Any leads on where I should begin? Has anyone used a 24G? I searched the site but did not find anything.

Thanks
Jeremy Korbe

You need to try and get some curves for this, from that you can work out a suitable load, and therefore an output transformer.

Once you have the output sorted out, you will then be able to determine the input swing that you need.

The rest is a matter of a driver circuit to meet the input demand of the output valve.

sorry I can't give you more

I've played some with them. To me they beg to be driven in class A2.

You can find curves here:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/114/h/HK24.pdf

24G, 3C24, and HK24G are the same as HK24 with the grid lead out the side. I think Eimac 25T and 25TG are also very similar. From what I've seen the baby Eimac 15T is also not too different in characteristics.

Look for circuits that use the 811A, 812A, and similar tubes. The 24G curves actually are very similar to the 812A and 834, but the max power dissipation is a lot lower.

I would try a circuit like this one:

http://www.geocities.com/bobdanielak/se812.gif

You might need lower B+ to stay under the plate dissipation limits.

The 24G has fairly high Rp so you really want a high Z OPT. 5k minimum, 8k or 10k would be better.

Pete

You beat me to it Gianluca. Jim has said that as a driver he's used the 3c24 at ~400Vpk, -5.5Vgk, and 6mA. Rp was up around 15k. I think he is using a choke of ~600H for the plate load, can't remeber if it was Lundahl or MQ.

I have about a dozen of them hanging around, waiting for me to find Eimac HR1 heatsinks or get a machine shop to make some.

Regards,
John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.