• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DIY preamp tube: Audio Research Reference 3???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've heard plenty of ARC gear over the years, and while it sounds good, it is needlessly complex and actually doesn't sound better than (in many instances not even as good as) a lot of the designs floating around on this forum.

For a really good line stage you can build check out the Aikido threads here and http://www.tubecad.com/

If you want to build something a little different take a look at my dht pre-amplifier design. (See my site)

Thanks Gordy,

I've built the LS25 schematic, and it is no way sounding anything near like a Reference 3!

I love the sound of the Ref 3 but thinking the LS25 is close enough, but it just will not do!

I've being tweaking on the LS 25 trying to make it sound more Ref 3 like but with limited sucess.

Does anyone here has the schematics to Ref 3 pre amp?

Please....?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
henkel said:
Thanks Gordy,

I've built the LS25 schematic, and it is no way sounding anything near like a Reference 3!

I love the sound of the Ref 3 but thinking the LS25 is close enough, but it just will not do!

I've being tweaking on the LS 25 trying to make it sound more Ref 3 like but with limited sucess.

Does anyone here has the schematics to Ref 3 pre amp?

Please....?

If not on the ARC website, unlikely that you'll see it here anytime soon. ARC is less willing to share the designs of its (more) current products for very obvious reasons.

Yes, when compared to the real LS25 MKII, my clone sounds 80% of the real deal initially.

I've since moded it further in an effort to re-capture the Ref 3 sound I heard so nicely!

No help anyone?

I am game for even schematics of the Ref 1 or 2 or the MKII?

Please help if you have.

Thanks.

Hi! As I was using inferiror parts(compared to ARC) the first round, I am glad to have 80%.

But I have since made improvements, like using a step attenuator, premium resistors and capacitors and premium internal cabling.

I have also since made some slight changes on the power supply to allow me to run on 6H30 tubes.

I believe I am now fairly close or may have exceeded the LS25 MKII. But still slightly short of a Reference 3.

If not on the ARC website, unlikely that you'll see it here anytime soon.

Totally forgot this thread. Still think it sucks though.

Attachments

• REF 3.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,129
  • REF 3 tube regulator.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 764
  • Pat Kenedy preamp ranking.gif
    Pat Kenedy preamp ranking.gif
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,153
Hello Lang,

I don't have the Audio Research Reference 3 schematic to share with you.

I used to have the Reference 3 along with the Ref 110, and I still have the CD-7. I now use an Air Tight ATC-1 preamp. I think the ATC-1 is better. The sound is warmer and more open.

Since the Reference 3, I have used Lamm L2 Reference. I prefer the Audio Research Ref 3 more. Then I switched to Shindo Aurigies-L. The Shindo is better than both. Then I got the Air Tight which I like best. Let me know if you want to know the details why I like the Air Tight the best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.