24V aikido build! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2007, 10:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 24V aikido build!

So I got my aikido mostly put together over last weekend and finished it last night. but I was just too tired to hook it in so, when I got home from work this evening I just had to fire it up. Gotta say, no hum, no buzz just really clean clear sound. Excellent dynamics soundstage etc etc.

REALLY good!

Did I mention that it sounded great?

I do have a pop on turning the centre pot of the broskie stepped pot board, but I'm on my way towards sorting that too.

Details are:

24V linear PSU
2 chokes - small one for B+ and bigger for the heater supply
aikido mono boards
Darwin source selector relay board from twistedpearaudio.com
broskie stepped pot
BG non-polar 4.7uF/50V as C1 output cap, big PIO 4.7uF cap bypassed with polystyrene 0.05uf as C2 output cap

Pics:

Click the image to open in full size.

I know its messy in there! but it works....

I'm strongly thinking of building another as a headphone amp in a while.

Fran
Old 2nd October 2007, 09:55 PM   #2
zacster is online now zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks good. I too have a 24v Aikido built, mine uses the stereo 9-pin board. I used ordinary pots and rotary switch, and a pre-built +/-24v linear supply. The -24v is for the Creek phono board that I pulled from an amp that I have. I have a Welborne remote attenuator/selector, but the first volume step was too loud and it needs a 5v supply. Dropping 24v to 5v produces a lot of heat, and I never adjusted it so I pulled it in favor of the pots.

Output caps are Solen 3.3v and Auricap 3.3v. The Auricaps sound better and are hard-wired in.

My Aikido is silent too.
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I'm using a 5V supply for the relay board, and the reg does throw off a good bit of heat. Luckily the current demands are very low for the board. In any case I attached an oversized heatsink to the reg just in case. I've had it running now for almost 12 hours straight with no problems.

The pop as I turned the center pot:

I ended up putting a 0.56uF PP cap in series with the hot output from the attenuator board. JB himself thinks it maybe due to the tubes not liking a shift in the grid resistance. He has seen similar before.

In any case after fitting the cap, the pop is all but gone and it doesn't seems to have affected the sonics luckily.

Very happy with this build.

Fran

PS: This has to be one of the best starter projects for anyone interested in building a tube amp. You will learn a lot and the PCB base is the equivalent of some hand holding. Build it in a good big case to give yourself some room and allow for some mounting mistakes.

Old 3rd October 2007, 09:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Fran,
Did the additional filter caps make any sonic difference.

Shoog
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Not that I could tell Stephen, but then its all change here at the moment so its hard to say definitively. I can say that the active pre betters the passive by quite a margin.

Fran
Old 3rd October 2007, 05:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can say that the active pre betters the passive by quite a margin.

Fran
I expected nothing less. I once had a passive pre driving a Leak Stereo 20 and it worked very well - but that had extreme input sensitivity. Anything else I tried it on wasn't up to much. I think its largely a faulty idea except in some specific situations.

Shoog
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:50 PM   #7
matejS is offline matejS  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 24V aikido build!

Hi,

what tubes did you use?

- Matej
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

6GM8/ECC86 - the basic build and the circuit I used is at:

tubecad 24V aikido page

The actual PCB is slightly different and you need to always reference back to the circuit in the blog above. Other than that it was straightforward enough.

I bought my components from Mouser. If anyone wants teh parts list I used, respond here or by email and I'll post it.

Fran
Old 1st December 2007, 10:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to fierce_freak Send a message via AIM to fierce_freak Send a message via MSN to fierce_freak Send a message via Yahoo to fierce_freak
I'm thinking of doing the 24v aikido for one of my two upcoming builds. I'm sure a regular voltage aikido sounds better, but has anyone compared?

-edit- as a pre, and I'll add a buffer for headphones
Old 2nd December 2007, 12:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

dunno about the high voltage one, but I can tell you the 24V one is a cracker. And thats with a pretty revealing system.

Hide this!Advertise here!