Poodle gives clues to capacitor construction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2007, 09:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Poodle gives clues to capacitor construction

Hi
I realised yesterday upon returning home that my standard poodle was indeed an audiophile.
I had left a metallized pp cap out on the coffee table and of course said poodle decide to strip the caps outer sheath and show me whats in it. Foil.. lots of it. Which begs the question... is that all? I know mundorfs use virtually 2 caps in their silver in oil caps to reduce induction which is why they have a voltage rating of 1200V but may i assume that all other caps just use some form of film which is metallised on one side.
So what makes them different? WHat confers the sound?
In the true spirit of diy has anyone rolled their own?
Nick
Old 29th September 2007, 09:31 PM   #2
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Tomorrow leave some components and a schematic on the coffee table and see if you return to a completed amp! Good dog!
Old 29th September 2007, 10:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default She works cheaply as well!!!

I am sure she would favour a CAThode follwer design
Nick
Old 29th September 2007, 10:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yes - that is all that is in there. As few as two plates and a dielectric of some sort can make a capacitor.

But what should the dialectric be? wax paper? Oil impregated paper? Air? how thick should it be? so many things that need to be worked out in building one.

Just imagine the electrons on one side of the wax paper wiggling and causing the ones on the other side to wiggle as well. They both have a charge - get it? No electrons can pass the dialectric though... Now you understand what a capacitor does.

Air makes a superb dielectric. But air pressure changes often, humidity is a big factor, and you need rigid plates or they will touch... so perhaps it is not really that good.

Then you can use wax paper. But you need it really thin. And evenly thin too. Not easy. Oil coated paper is great, but oil can leak out. Very thin coat of Teflon on aluminum or copper film? Superb, but very expensive...
Old 29th September 2007, 10:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default all things being equal though

Hi
I wonder given just the metallized pp capacitor as to how different they are inside. Does Auricap have a better peice of metallised cling wrap inside than say a solen? It makes a difference though as my ears are witness to that.
Anyone else dismantled a pp cap?
Nick
Old 29th September 2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: all things being equal though

Quote:
Originally posted by duderduderini

Anyone else dismantled a pp cap?
Nick

I've dismantled loads of caps to see how well they were made, mostly I got dissapointed when cracking an "audio" cap open. Contrary to that, most of the industrial stuff is pretty well made.

Magura
Old 29th September 2007, 11:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: all things being equal though

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura

I've dismantled loads of caps to see how well they were made, mostly I got dissapointed when cracking an "audio" cap open. Contrary to that, most of the industrial stuff is pretty well made.

Magura
So, Mr. Magoo,

Are you suggesting we abandon our wicked nice audio caps in favor of oil motor run caps - or something????

Old 29th September 2007, 11:48 PM   #8
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: all things being equal though

Quote:
Originally posted by mpmarino

So, Mr. Magoo,

Are you suggesting we abandon our wicked nice audio caps in favor of oil motor run caps - or something????

Mr. Orange,

Yes I am suggesting we abandon the lower quality caps, I have given my socalled audiophool caps away, and not to my best friends

As you have already doomed me to be certified insane, I can say this with no fear

Magura

Hide this!Advertise here!