• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Would a line stage/preamp be beneficial? NEWBIE question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off, I want to thank everyone for taking interest in my question. The ideas you presented are good ones and I will still move forward with building what Eli has proposed. I will likely use this in conjunction with my next and ofcourse more difficult and higher quality amp. I have come to the conclusion that I really don't need any more than about 7 watts with my BLH speakers to get plenty loud. So it will be SET vs. PP. I'm looking for the cleanest sound possible.

I have to admit that some of the discussion in this thread was 'over my head' so I have alot of reading to do. But it's all fun!

I overlooked something very silly with the SimpleSE. I have a volume control which which varies the line input. All I really need for now is a simple switch and multiple rca jacks to get the job done. (I believe I'm right?)

PS Eli, I see you are from Plainsboro. I grew up in Edison and used to head down to Farrington Lake in North Brunswick to go bass fishing. I still head down that way to visit my Mom. I live about two minutes from the Applachian Trail now. Had to get away from the Edison area since it got so built up.

awhite1159 said:
First off, I want to thank everyone for taking interest in my question. The ideas you presented are good ones and I will still move forward with building what Eli has proposed. I will likely use this in conjunction with my next and ofcourse more difficult and higher quality amp. I have come to the conclusion that I really don't need any more than about 7 watts with my BLH speakers to get plenty loud. So it will be SET vs. PP. I'm looking for the cleanest sound possible.

I have to admit that some of the discussion in this thread was 'over my head' so I have alot of reading to do. But it's all fun!

I overlooked something very silly with the SimpleSE. I have a volume control which which varies the line input. All I really need for now is a simple switch and multiple rca jacks to get the job done. (I believe I'm right?)

PS Eli, I see you are from Plainsboro. I grew up in Edison and used to head down to Farrington Lake in North Brunswick to go bass fishing. I still head down that way to visit my Mom. I live about two minutes from the Applachian Trail now. Had to get away from the Edison area since it got so built up.

Don't be quick to rule out PP. There are a number of NICE PP projects that are in the 8 WPC range that will cost less to build than SE. Simply put, good PP "iron" is less expensive than good SE "iron". SY's Red Light District and the El Cheapo project I've been involved with are candidates.

The SimpleSE has flaws. See my remarks here.

I moved to Plainsboro in Jan. `06 from Forest Hills (NYC). It's positively rural. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.