• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

line stage confusion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all, I must excuse myself for this request. I navigated A LOT inside the threads (and not only in this forum), but I must admit: I can't manage to decide what kind of circuit to choose for a good sounding line stage.

Based on my (very little) experience with tube, I can only say that:
1) I don't like very much transformer coupled stage;
2) I don't like very much schematics that give presence, warmth or anything else, I like transparency and neutral sound (not death, only neutral, something like "relaxed", but with good microdetails);
3) I don't need very much gain, (to say it all, I'd must avoid to have too much gain,due to the following active cross-over stage...)

So, it seems to me that I found in "aikido" sxp schematics an interesting way to run in, but... there are TOO MUCH variants, exceptions, ecc. I'm confused a lot...

I'd like to build it around four matched 6sn7 valves that I bought some years ago (yes, years, I'm sorry to say that 24 h/day are really insufficient for me...)

Has someone already realized an Aikido preamp with such kind of tube? How does it sound? Someone can link me to some pages or links with definitive (yes, I know it's a big word, we can say definitive for a good start...:) ) schematics that I can follow with good results?

Many thanks to all (who read and who answer, too) for your time.

A great salute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.