One channel softer than the other, humming and buzzing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Lloyd84 is offline Lloyd84  Australia
diyAudio Member

Unhappy One channel softer than the other, humming and buzzing

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help with a problem I'm having with my amp.

I have one of these, and it has developed a fair amount of hum from both channels. The left also sounds significantly different to the right, and is much, much quieter.

Prior to this it had no hum whatsoever. BTW, this is system number two. I returned the first one because of the exact same problem, so I'm wondering if it's just a design flaw, or if I've done something to cause it?

Troubleshooting I've tried:
*Moved all speaker cables away from power cords
*Tried a different power outlet

There is also a picture of what I assume is the circuit layout on the side of the unit, if that is of any help.

Any help/ideas/random noise would be appreciated.
Old 24th September 2007, 01:21 AM   #2
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

What are you using for input? If it is stereo via RCA jacks, swap left for right either at the amp or at the source (not both) to make sure the problem is not the source or the cable. If there is still a problem, return the unit and get your money back.
Old 24th September 2007, 04:01 AM   #3
Lloyd84 is offline Lloyd84  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that, and the problem persists. Does anyone know what could cause this type of problem?
Old 24th September 2007, 05:45 AM   #4
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Poor design or poor quality control.

The link you posted stated that it is is a 15 watt per channel RMS valve amp. It also says that the "valve" (singular) is priminantly on display. I would think that with one valve only it is a dual triode pre-amp valve. The power stage will not be valve powered, so the talk of being low power because it is a valve amp is BS, the power section will probably be a solid state chip.

If this is the second unit with the same problem and you have definitely isolated the source and the cable as a not being the problem that would suggest pretty poor quality control and/or design. You should probably take it back and put your money toward something that works. If you really want a valve amp there are probably better options than this.

Good luck anyway,

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!