• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Old tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a couple of 40 years old Dynaco mark3 tube amps they are pretty smashed up, so i am thinking on restoring them, but the trafos dosent work anymore, so here comes the question anyone how knows were I can get some, I can use instead?

I have also heard that the Dynaco mark 3 is a very good amps, even today! Is that right or is it totally inaudible???and not worth saving?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SAME,SAME...SAME.

Hi,

KT88 or 6550 and what is the diffrence?

Historically and technically....,yes.

As far as NOS goes you may be able to unearth some NOS 6550s but hardly a decent KT88 GEC.

The Dynasours will be happy with either current production KT88 or 6550A.

There are more differences between the remaining manufacturers than between the type of tubes nowadays.

Cheers,;)

My first tube amp is working !!!

My Dynacos is now working!!
I have just yoused the night on rewindding the output trafos with copper core, and replaced the gz-34 tubes with dioedes
And it works and sounds fine
But is it healthy for the amps that I youse diodes insteads of the Gz-34's

Can a output tube be to old? the ones im using is more than 20 years! :bomb:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DYNA.

Hi,

Glad to see they're working again.

But is it healthy for the amps that I youse diodes insteads of the Gz-34's

Most likely the B+ is now somewhat higher than before due to the lower voltage drop of the diodes,you may need to find out what it should be according to the Dyanaco circuit diagram and up the resistor value in the PSU.

Can a output tube be to old? the ones im using is more than 20 years!

It wouldn't hurt to have them checked and replaced if necessary.

Circuit diagram:

UNCLE NED'S.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.