High gain pentodes - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2007, 12:37 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
Some of those pentodes are pretty noisy/microphonic for a V1 position though.... 6CB6 for example, only a few brands are suitable.

But that could be said for most though *shrug*
Until someone invents a plastic resin that is conductive, and can stand up to red heat without deterioration, and is clear (dunwanna lose the glowey bottle coolness) that one can use to fill VTs instead of filling 'em with vacuum, microphonics are (more or less) going to be a problem.

Of course, you see something like "VHF amp" in the spec sheet, look out. Since these are intended to operate at RF, all due care to keep 'em from making noise at AF wasn't taken.
Old 24th September 2007, 04:23 AM   #12
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The EF94 / 6AU6 seems to be a a very underrated pentode- it's usually much less microphonic than most EF86s. I rate it VERY hightly.
I rate it highly too, but quality was variable and you have to find a good example. Both my GEs are very microphonic, whereas my RCAs are not. On paper, 6AU6 is superior to EF86 in many respects, aqltohugh it is rather noisier. It has very flat plate curves at low current, making it a good candidate as a CCS provided that you keep its plate-cathode voltage above 100v.
Old 24th September 2007, 05:09 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I've used a 6SJ7 with success, though they are microphonic as well, so it may not be suitable depending on you tubes' location. Two 50V zeners stacked create a nice screen supply, but bypass it with a high and a low val capacitance for noise issues. Lots of gain with this, super high input impedance, you can usually get these NOS cheap off ebay, plus the metal shell is good shielding.
Old 24th September 2007, 06:28 AM   #14
coresta is offline coresta  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth

I rate it highly too, but quality was variable and you have to find a good example. Both my GEs are very microphonic, whereas my RCAs are not. On paper, 6AU6 is superior to EF86 in many respects, aqltohugh it is rather noisier. It has very flat plate curves at low current, making it a good candidate as a CCS provided that you keep its plate-cathode voltage above 100v.

or have a try to the real 6AU6 for AF : the 7543 , NOS can be found for cheap on ipay
Old 24th September 2007, 03:05 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default pentode gain stage.

I have good luck with using triode strapped 6JC6A pentode with CCS source as an initial gain stage in a couple of amps (not guitar amps).

I believe it is has a GM of 15.

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!