• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Noob saying Hi...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
N00b saying Hi...

I had this great idea for a winter project, build a tube amp, learn something about audio hi fi, electronics, and hopefully create something that works as intended...

So, I have decided to base my first stab at tube audio on the boozehound lab's 6v6 based amp. I walk through guide is always a great help and really, that's what swung it for me as one to try.

It's all at a panning stage presently, sourcing components and planning physical layouts, oh, and a lot of learning about the theory and practicalities of it all.

Anyway, this is just just my first post to say 'hi'

S.

Hi Monkeyarmada,

I had the same compulsion about 5 months ago. If you search through my posts you will see an outline of my progress from start to finish. I have also made reference to the materials I used, net resources and suppliers of parts.

At the end of the day, it has been an extremely rewarding experience and the folks on this site have been helpful beyond description.

Hope you have fun - it is quite achievable for a 'noob'.

Cheers,

Rob

there's no amp to play through like one you hacked, smacked and possibly tacked together :)... I started with a rainy season too...here's some great newbie tips I learned the hard way:
1. Keep one hand in your pocket. That way the electricity just scares the **** out of you and burns you instead of killing you.
2. Don't drink/smoke/whatever and solder! The burns take a long time to heal, and you end up stealing all of your roommates codeine cough syrup & whiskey for new and painful reasons.
3. Discharge capacitors with one of those giant useless screwdrivers. Just each terminal to the chassis, do it smooth or you will be arc welding in some amps.
4. Occasionally leave the house
5. Never give up. Not at all.

Well, thanks for the info guys. I can't wait to fire up the old soldering iron, but I think slow and steady is they way forward with this project.

The high voltage nature of things is my only concern really, my experience is based in automotive 12V stuff. The one hand in the pocket has been noted... and I'll save the beer drinking for when I work on my car :D

Hope to be posting some progress pics soon...

S.

With all due respect to those who posted above,

go here: http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1126228937

Eli Duttman and Jim McShane (both stand-up, straight and extremely knowledgeable guys who are are seen here from time to time) have done an extraordinary job designing a wonderful amplifier that can be built at several price points. One person who has built one is one of the moderators here - Planet10.

And get a copy of one of Morgan Jones's books (at this point, "Building Valve Amplifiers".

At this point, you don't need a copy of "Radiotron Designer's Handbook".

IMO.

No disrespect intended to those who posted above.

Hi Monkeyarmarda,

Here are a couple of my own thoughts -

1. Get a decent soldering iron station if you don't have one already - you will be using it a lot.

2. Morgan Jones's book is very useful but not as useful as this forum.

3. An oscilloscope is helpful and fun (if you can land one cheaply) but not essential.

4. A good multimeter (like the soldering station) is, in my opinion, essential. However, Chinese made flukes are cheap on Ebay.

5. When soldering everything together, use a highlighter pen to mark off the (completed) connections and components on your circuit diagram as you go.

6. Ebay is a must!!

7. Finally, it's going to cost you a lot more than you think - a Chinese tube amp would be a much cheaper option but the DIY option will keep you amused for months. It would have been worth it at twice the cost for me.

Rob

I have been spending many a confused evening in front of one of Morgan Jones's 'Valve Amplifiers', it's quite a learning curve and being more of a practical nature(rather than theoretical) 'Building Valve Amplifiers' book may be on the shopping list very soon.

I haven't yet finished a project without spiralling cost and budgets and time-scales far exceeding anything dreamt of the scoping stage. But that half the fun... hiding the receipts and other evidence from the Wife/Girlfriend/Bank Manager.

S.

Still, with all respect to those above, and borrowing some from them:

1. Multimeter (VOM) - can be "cheapie". In the US, $15 will do it.

2. "Building Valve Amplifiers" - Morgan Jones - practical, not theoretical.

3. The Duttman/McShane amplifier referenced above is your best bet for first time greatness, if you want to build from scratch.

4. A soldering station is a wonderful thing, but not necessary until the bug has bitten hard. A de-soldering tool, though, is a necessity (IMO).

5. 'Scopes come later.

Many will disagree.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.