• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Guy w/my Foreplay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, just found this board. So I thought I would show you my latest projects; Custom Bottlehead Foreplay.

Attachments

• c3a_400.jpg
    c3a_400.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 745
From upscaleaudio

Here is his description:

12AU7/ECC82 CV4003 Mullard. HEAVEN!!!! Attn: Rogue and Conrad Johnson owners and those with other "picky" preamps!! I had about enough of the PV-10, 11, and 12 being a bit tough on 12AU7s, and was suggesting folks stay with Chinese or RFT even though they don't sound as good as a Mullard. We now have a test where we can supply you with premium tubes that are quiet and don't go microphonic.

The Mullard CV4003 is a wonderful tube British tube with the midrange we crave. For premium select $35. For Private Reserve $40. For Rogue/CJ owners, we have a special test that only 5 out of 100 will pass. $45 each, but you won't have any more problems, so it's worth it.

I have the $40 ea type.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
harvardian said:
From upscaleaudio

Here is his description:

12AU7/ECC82 CV4003 Mullard. HEAVEN!!!! Attn: Rogue and Conrad Johnson owners and those with other "picky" preamps!! I had about enough of the PV-10, 11, and 12 being a bit tough on 12AU7s, and was suggesting folks stay with Chinese or RFT even though they don't sound as good as a Mullard. We now have a test where we can supply you with premium tubes that are quiet and don't go microphonic.

The Mullard CV4003 is a wonderful tube British tube with the midrange we crave. For premium select $35. For Private Reserve $40. For Rogue/CJ owners, we have a special test that only 5 out of 100 will pass. $45 each, but you won't have any more problems, so it's worth it.

I have the $40 ea type.

What is this nonsense? The Mullard ECC82 is a field scan valve (an application that does not require low distortion. The one remarkable feature about this valve is its consistency between manufacturers and samples. Selection is not necessary. They are all equally poor for audio.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ECC82.

Hi,

They are all equally poor for audio.

He,he...and if you really want to listen to the worst of this kind try the nickel plated 6189 as was used by the French postal services and usually made by Cifte...yuk.

Instead of spending money on so called premium 12AU7A/ECC82s it would be much better to mod the preamp and use a similar gain valve such as the 6CG7/6FQ7 or better still a 12BH7A.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ECC82.

Hi,

But, just because a valve was not designed for an audio application in the first place, does not necessarily mean it'll be no good for audio.

Not all that many tubes were designed with audio use in mind anyway.

And amongst those that weren't designed with this particular use in mind, there are a lot of various types out there that all sound a lot better than an ECC82.

Cheers,;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
dhaen said:
The funny thing to me is the number of valves that I knew in my previous RF life (teens) that have become "standards".
ECC88
EC88
ECC189
EF80
EF184
PCF80

I take your point. There are a few other applications that also require low distortion. RF front ends, FDM telephone amplifiers, and good IF strips. I'm not quite sure what the variable-mu ECC189 is doing in your list, but the EF184 is one of my favourites. It's a good triode, and it makes a good constant current sink.

EC8010 said:

What is this nonsense? The Mullard ECC82 is a field scan valve (an application that does not require low distortion. The one remarkable feature about this valve is its consistency between manufacturers and samples. Selection is not necessary. They are all equally poor for audio.

FU! I love 12AU7 ;) :cool:

Attachments

• heptau7_back.jpg
    heptau7_back.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 428
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.