• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Variac to power-up Beveridge OTLs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, All

I have a pair of Beveridge 2s that use the built in OTL tube amps. One of the speakers has a weak panel in which the mylar diaphragm is drawn into one of the stators when first powered up, due I suppose to unbalanced charges on the stators. After awhile, the diaphragm "unsticks" itself from the stator and otherwise sounds fine. Rick Beveridge tells me that this is a common problem with the older units as the diaphragms lose tension, and can be repaired by a costly panel overhaul. I was wondering if, since this is a power-up only issue, if I could use a variac to slowly bring the amp up without damaging any of the circuitry? There are discrete transistors in the driver circuit.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

David

I don,t think the variac is a good idea the outputs could latch to either psu rail when low !.What is required is a timer that only connects to the spk when the amplifier has settled down I am assuming this is a direct coupled device that has neither output tranformer or capacitor .It may be neccasery that the timer connects a dummy load on switch on and then after the timing period connects the loudspeaker to the amp.

regards Trevor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.