Gibson reverb driver transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2007, 12:56 AM   #1
garydue is offline garydue  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Gibson reverb driver transformer

I am restoring a Epiphone Glaxie same as a Gibson Scout GA17RVT. I need a reverb driver transformer. The driver tube is a 12ax7 & the tank is RV4c-1. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or the primary & secondary values?
Thanks
Old 14th September 2007, 01:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know what RV4c-1 means, but this might work if your reverb input is low impedance.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Reverb-Dr...QQcmdZViewItem
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 14th September 2007, 02:17 AM   #3
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Gibson reverb driver transformer

Quote:
Originally posted by garydue
I am restoring a Epiphone Glaxie same as a Gibson Scout GA17RVT. I need a reverb driver transformer. The driver tube is a 12ax7 & the tank is RV4c-1. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or the primary & secondary values?
Thanks

That part ismight be similar to one that Mercury Magnetcs sells for Gibson replacement parts.

Mercury is the premier transformer company for guitar amp transformers.

If it were me, I would go that route in this case, Yes it is a bit more money, But experience with previous transformers from triode tells me you only get what you pay for. My junk box contains several.

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

I would give them a call, If they do not have it, I know they would make you one.

Trout
Old 14th September 2007, 04:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

A trick that works good on Fenders (8-10 ohm tank input Z), maybe Gibson too, is using the 35/50C5 SE audio output transformers found in all sorts of el-cheapo line opped radios of yesteryear.

Cheers!
Old 14th September 2007, 09:13 PM   #5
m6tt is offline m6tt  United States
diyAudio Member

on a whim repairing a hammond amp, I used a SE transformer from a 50c5 radio as the previous post mentioned. No problems so far and it sounds great. Just make sure the B+ that's getting fed in isn't like 500 volts or something crazy, mine is working fine (and oversized compared to the original), and that's at 295 v.
Old 15th September 2007, 12:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It's the ones with the 12AT7 drivers that get fed 450-500V or something insane, IIRC .... that's why they cook cathode resistors.

Hide this!Advertise here!