• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help getting these d$&* Dynascan probes apart!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My probes are falling to bits, and the insulation has popped out of the thread-on base and the copper braid is all but completely frayed... and i can't figure out how to get the ******** things apart to fix them!!

Any hlelp would be incredibly useful. I have searched for manuals, but non of them cover the dissassembly of the threaded connector.

They are Dynascan direct/low capacity probes from my old B&K Precision scope... the probes with the tips that you can pull out and switch from direct to 10:1

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a pic... it is the old UHF connector if you can't make out the dim picture:

Attachments

• probe2.jpg
    probe2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 94
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,
I think you actually need to replace the whole connector. UHF style crimp on connectors (And others) are still available from mouser and digikey. Prying the old crimp off is another option, but may prove to be more trouble than it is worth. (Install BNC connectors on the probes and they will work with more modern scopes if this one ever croaks.)

I haven't seen a scope that uses those connectors since I got rid of my 545A and the few plug-ins that still used them. Many of the later plug-ins had BNC connectors - any possibility of upgrading the connectors on the scope to something more universal by today's standards? (Optionally BNC to UHF adaptors are commonly available and work fine below 100MHz or so.)

kevinkr said:
Hi,
I think you actually need to replace the whole connector. UHF style crimp on connectors (And others) are still available from mouser and digikey. Prying the old crimp off is another option, but may prove to be more trouble than it is worth. (Install BNC connectors on the probes and they will work with more modern scopes if this one ever croaks.)

I haven't seen a scope that uses those connectors since I got rid of my 545A and the few plug-ins that still used them. Many of the later plug-ins had BNC connectors - any possibility of upgrading the connectors on the scope to something more universal by today's standards? (Optionally BNC to UHF adaptors are commonly available and work fine below 100MHz or so.)

Hey man... I got it figured out. The reducer bushing and collar were a bit corroded so it just too a bit of muscle. The threads were not great either, so I had to re-establish them with a file and a razor blade...grrrr...

I may take your suggestion and put BNC connectors on the scope and probes. The UHF connectors are just threaded into the chassis, so I imagine that a transplant should be fairly straightforward, but these old probes are fixed for now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.