• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

photos of my creations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Craig,

I have six inputs going into the Aikido, one of the knobs is a source selector. The other is the volume control.

Incidentally, I have noticed that my "cheaper" devices (DVD player, TV, tuner) caused hum. This was almost certainly due to a ground loop with these devices (none of them have dedicated Earth pins on their plugs). Anyway, for the RCA jacks on the Aikido where I plug these devices, I simply disconnected the Signal GND. In fact, the only RCA jacks that have singal GNDS connected are the CD-player (Rega Apollo) and Turntable/phono, and the output to my main amp.

Charlie

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Charlie,
You may not be on cable, but if you use a grounded coaxial cable system, the result would be the same. These transformers are a 1:1 type, the better ones giving you less loss. They break that other ground connection that is carried over the cable shield and RCA connectors.

Try disconnecting the antenna connection on all these and see what happens.

-Chris

Chris,

I'll give it a try. When I rewired my house antenna, I ensured that the coax was grounded on the outside of the house via the same ground point that the cable company had wired. Last summer, the cable co cable broke and we didn't bother having them replace it. Our provider is Mediacom and we didn't want to give them our money for anything.

Thanks,
Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.