Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default want to build a pentode driven drd 2a3!

hi folks,

i would like to build a pentode driven drd 2a3 or 300b, just like the one thorsten have but with e180f as the driver, as i have a quad given to me. im wondering if there is a schematic laying around on some of the threads. im fairly a newbie in ellectronics and tubes but i have built quite a few amps from schematics with parts list up until 400v.

will you guys be able to also specify the ps transformer and chokes if possible hammonds?
i would also like to use elctraprints for the plate chokes.

i already have some parts which are listed below.

transcendar 3k or 5k opts at 150ma
tj 2a3
tj 300b
e180f

thanks in advance!
ivan
Old 2nd September 2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I'ld be interested to hear about pentode driven drd's too. How do pentodes behave with a choke load btw; not such a natural combination as triode + choke or am I completely missing things?

Simon
Old 2nd September 2007, 08:41 PM   #3
jane is offline jane  Norway
diyAudio Member

Pentodes have quite high internal resistance which, together with a reactive load, might affect the low frequency response.

Jan E Veiset
Old 2nd September 2007, 10:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

E180F is a great tube, but even better in triode mode. Would take care of the pentode high plate-Z issues Jane speaks of.
Old 3rd September 2007, 01:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

i would expect that you would need to resistively load the pentode and not inductively load it as typically done. Inductive loads and pentodes typically lead to very odd results.

the simple tasks is to find a pentode that is happy with the load it gets when you divide current by the needed bias. (10ma of current and a 45V bias would require a load resistor of 4K5)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!