• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Reducing gain on Audible Illusions M3A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know of a way to reduce the gain on this preamp. There used to be internal switches to reduce the gain from 30db to 23db, and that is still to much. I`ve heard about devices that plug into the interconnect between pre and amp to reduce gain. Anybody had any expirience with these. Thanks, NOXO

no xo said:
I`ve heard about devices that plug into the interconnect between pre and amp to reduce gain. Anybody had any expirience with these.

These mysterious devices of which you speak, they are more commonly known as a pair of resistors ... no?

Do you have a schematic you can post? Short of that, you might put a resistor in line with the input before the pot to reduce it's sensitivity a bit.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: Reducing gain on Audible Illusions M3A

dsavitsk said:

These mysterious devices of which you speak, they are more commonly known as a pair of resistors ... no?

Doug, that is too funny. :D I'm still laughing, guess I have an odd sense of humor.

no xo
Yes a schematic would be very nice...

You can build a simple resistive divider into the inputs as needed. For a tuner or cd player you might use a pair of 10K resistors for a total attenuation of about 6dB. (Excluding the volume control loading effects.) Doing it this way keeps the source impedance low into the pre-amp's internal wiring, reducing the potential for cross-talk and noise pick up prior to the volume control.

The inline attenuators I`ve heard of are resistors. And come on you guys, take it easy on a guy that does`nt even know enough to be dangerous. ( Are you laughing at me or with me?) Don`t worry, I can take it. And thanks for your quick replies. I`ll hunt around for a schematic. I know what I would like to accomplish and have no idea how to do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.