diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Hammond Driver transformers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/107455-hammond-driver-transformers.html)

poynton 24th August 2007 10:18 PM

Hammond Driver transformers

Hi

Can I use a Hammond 145P to drive 6336's ?

Andy

kevinkr 24th August 2007 10:23 PM

Can you attach a spec sheet or provide a link? :D
Normally I would just go look, but I killed my computer last night reinstalling 64 bit linux and am using the wife's..: D (Basically wiped out my raid array - windows doesn't know what to do when it sees a reiserfs partition..) Sunday afternoon will be a quality time spent doing a triple boot installation. (Linux, WinXP, FreeDos32)
:smash:

poynton 24th August 2007 10:42 PM

Hi

http://www.hammondmfg.com/140.htm

Andy

SY 24th August 2007 11:41 PM

If the specs are correct, you'll need a whole lotta volts for drive and the bass will be severely limited.

kevinkr 25th August 2007 11:23 PM

You definitely don't want the 145P what you really want is something with about 1:1:1 if you need a little voltage gain 1:2:2 will be acceptable provided that the rp of the drive tube is a couple of K ohm or less. (Note that the grid of each 6336 in this case sees 4X the driver rp, and the situation for Cm reflected back to the driver stage plate is also comparably worsened.) Llundahl makes the sort of transformer you need.

Computer not fixed, all data lost, reformatting drives now. 1/2 terabyte = very slow format :bawling:

Shoog 27th August 2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Computer not fixed, all data lost, reformatting drives now. 1/2 terabyte = very slow format
Which Linux ?
My installs of Suse have all been trouble free since 9.1 - just shove in the DVD and sit back. Well worth it when you have it stable.

Shoog

kevinkr 27th August 2007 04:01 PM

OT

Quote:

Originally posted by Shoog

Which Linux ?
My installs of Suse have all been trouble free since 9.1 - just shove in the DVD and sit back. Well worth it when you have it stable.

Shoog

Ubuntu 64 bit, distro 7.04 which is a fork of debian. I have determined that it does a couple of bad things even before attempting to install. It apparently accesses the portion of the bios that manages the raid array, and then if allowed to continue actually overwrites the windows partition on one of the drives which is basically fatal. I had to do a clean install of windows on the machine, and convinced that I had made a mistake loading linux (previous installation with Ubuntu 6.06 was a breeze) I tried it again, upon reboot discovered that the array was "degraded" but no error this time so I deleted one of the drives and started windows which then rebuilt the array successfully. I have installed previous Ubuntu distributions without difficulty and created dual boot configurations on machines including this one that already had windows installed. I even have separate drives for Linux on this machine, but never got to the point where it asked what drives to use for installation.
Linux does not support software raid, but this has never been an issue for me before.

My confidence is very shaken. Windows XP Pro is expensive, and I had a lot of stuff on that machine. Dealing with Microsoft Activation beyond two times is problematic from prior experience, and it almost looked like I was facing a third install. I hate having to call that phone number and explain why I need to manually activate the software, and the questions that entails. :dodgy: I had done recent backups of a lot of things so it isn't like I lost that much..

Next machine will be linux, but I guess I will have to build another machine to experiment with - I'll probably not be doing it on my good machine.