• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

smoke came from transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Counterpoint 5.1 tube pre-amp, after I found the 2A fuse is broken then I put a 3A fuse to replace.

When I powered on, I saw smoke came from the power supply and smell the smoke is coming from the transformer.

Is there any suggestion, I need your help !

Thousands thanks in advance.

filipolaz said:
I have a Counterpoint 5.1 tube pre-amp, after I found the 2A fuse is broken then I put a 3A fuse to replace.

When I powered on, I saw smoke came from the power supply and smell the smoke is coming from the transformer.

Is there any suggestion, I need your help !

Thousands thanks in advance.

Suggestion 1: Don't overrate fuses. They are there for a reason.

Suggestion 2: Find, and fix, the problem in the amp that blew the fuse in the first place before trying to power it up again.

Suggestion 3: Remove the power transformer and check it for shorts, etc. If it seems okay, power it up on its own (with a proper fuse) to see if it works. If it does and you have fixed the problem in the amp, reassemble it and test (with the proper fuse.)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: smoke came from transformer

dsavitsk said:
Suggestion 3: Remove the power transformer and check it for shorts, etc. If it seems okay, power it up on its own (with a proper fuse) to see if it works. If it does and you have fixed the problem in the amp, reassemble it and test (with the proper fuse.)

Smoke coming out of the transformer is a VERY good sign that it has a short.

dave

Re: Re: smoke came from transformer

dsavitsk said:

Suggestion 1: Don't overrate fuses. They are there for a reason.

Suggestion 2: Find, and fix, the problem in the amp that blew the fuse in the first place before trying to power it up again.

Suggestion 4: Keep the lid on and don't let the smoke out. Everyone knows old amps are powered by smoke!! If that fails , replace the transformer and check the rectifier and caps.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.