counterpoint sa-7(volume pot value) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2003, 06:16 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Peter.

Hi Peter,
Great to hear from you,
Thanks for your thoughts.
Wow The countryside sounds really great,I think that in this country we do have some of the most spectacular historic countryside and when the weather is ok it is brilliant I live in the west midlands and it is incredibbly industrialized with factorys galore.The neares major greenery is in a place called Kinver edge.

I always think theres something majical about the mix of hi-end hi-fi and bueatifull countryside,Especcialy in the winter when its white over outside and the valves are glowing on the pre and power amp. I used to have 2 leek mono block valve amps that were converted by Glen croft,Also i have a mega micro pre amp which has 2 boxes.
when the whole system was on there were over 34 valves all going at once,I didnt need to go to Blackpool to see the illuminations--i had them on the hi-fi.

I will deffinatly look into the advice from Bob about taking out the balance control,I am not shure how to do this but i guess it cannot be that difficult.

Yes,Indeed Peter the flu can be such a downer I had no sleep for 2 days and spent a fortune on medicane.It is true how they can send man to the moon but cannot eradicate the old British flu,I even used beconase hay fever treatment as this is supposed to open up the sinesis,It does actually work but only for a few hours

Have just bought a new croft power amplifier "series 4"and have yet to try it on my Decca kelly ribbon horn speakers.
Must dash Peter as my brain is telling me to make a cuppa,
Great to hear from you,
Stay warm,
Ian.
Old 10th February 2003, 06:23 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Frank.

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the update.
Have just finished cleaning the sa-7 as it was covered in dust on the main pcb.
Did have an audio reserach pre amp and it was deffinately not hi-fi.
Have bought the counterpoint for my uncle in Vancouver who is new to audio etc.
Told him to go for croft but this counterpoint sold for 150
Thanks Frank
Ian.
Old 10th February 2003, 06:54 PM   #23
Bobken is offline Bobken  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: SA-7

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

Ian, that was my mistake actually.Not Bob's.

Cheers,
What a hero, Frank, but I don't mind about carrying the can.

My shoulders are broad, indeed they need to be on this Forum, but thanks for the consideration shown in putting the record straight!

Ian,

I know B'Ham well, or at least I used to some years ago.

Until the early '70s, I lived in Sutton Coldfield, and I went to Art College in Brum, and then had some jobs for some years in the Jewellery Quarter, Warstone Lane, Vittoria St., Vyse St., Frederick St., etc.

I also worked for a car firm in West Brom for a year or two, and another company in Kingstanding, as well.

The very first electronic components I ever bought were from a couple of places in Hurst St. B'hm, the whole of which was more recently knocked down and subsequently rebuilt.

Maybe about 20yrs ago I had some fantastic Saturday nights out in a place there (Hurst St. before it was re-built) called the Happy Gathering. It wasn't even licensed for drinks but it was the best Chinese Restaurant around, and was so cheap.

About 20 of us would go there and we all took our own booze with us, and the 'family' atmosphere was terrific, indeed it had to be as you were almost sitting on each other's laps, as they would never turn any business away!

Much to the disgust of the present Mrs. Bob, I made friends with some rather tasty girls we saw there regularly, and I have been carried down Hurst St. to the car park at the bottom more than once (and ridden in an abandoned builder's wheelbarrow!), especially near to Xmas time!!

I well recall the open fusebox on the wall of The Happy Gathering(they would be closed down as a health hazard now!) because the Chinese had simply painted the old style ceramic fuses with gold paint!!!

Frank will confirm that I am bit 'anecdotal' nowadays (what else is there left in life for an old chap, now?) but I have done a few worthwhile things in my time, and I still have many more to try. I'll get accused of being boring again, if I keep this up, though.

Hope you are cheering up.

Regards,
Old 10th February 2003, 07:04 PM   #24
diyAudio Senior Member

Default MISTAKEN ID.

Hi Bob,

Maybe you haven't noticed...
Ian had all of us here mixed up in his previous posts...guess that *cuppa* was really urgent.
(No offense Ian)

FYI,I've been to B'hm a few times too and from there to Erdington in Glen C's 911 Martini.

Cheers ,
Old 10th February 2003, 07:08 PM   #25
Bobken is offline Bobken  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just seen your post #21.

I'll tell you what, if only you can get to grips with these posters' names you'll be on to a winner on this Forum! Only joking!!! It must be the medicine!!!

Don't do anything rash with your Hi-Fi, though, as it always says "can make you drowsy, so don't operate any machinery, or whatever." on the bottle.

I'm getting confused as to who I am, myself, now, after my second pre-dinner Carlsberg Special!

Cheers,
Old 10th February 2003, 07:09 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Bob,Frank

Hi Bob,Frank.
Many appologies for the mix up
I think that all the beconase hay fever medicane i have been taking lately has started to get to me.

Wow Frank,You new Glen
Old 10th February 2003, 07:12 PM   #27
diyAudio Senior Member

Default WITH ALL THAT BEER IN ENGLAND...

Hi Bob,

Quote:
Carlsberg Special
If it is the same as the Carlsberg Elephant, I can easily understand why you're confused.

Cheers,

P.S.Since I've had supper already, I'm enjoying my *trappist*.
Old 10th February 2003, 07:17 PM   #28
diyAudio Senior Member

Default FAMOUS G.C.

Hi Ian,

Quote:
Wow Frank,You new Glen
Yes,the other one and only.

I could write a book just about the hi-fi shows we spent together already!

A brilliant designer...and quite a character too.

Tom F. from Nottingam Analogue is another brilliant chap and one of the nicest fellows I ever had the honour to meet.

Cheers,
Old 10th February 2003, 07:24 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Bobken.

Hi Bobken
I know west bromich very well,Also Dudley,Woverhampton,Birmingham,Sedgley,Wendsbury and Walsall.

Great post on your experiences in Brum The good old days.

do you rememver the dome night club

I remember once when i was shopping in a hi-fi store called techno and the sales assistant tryed to sell me a pair of stack system speakers for 50.I wouldnt have minded but i was looking to buy a pair of bose am7 and had the cash on me,

I also bought an old Radford ma25 monoblock from West bromich.
I paid 30 for it

Am just enjoying some tea(vegetables and steak and kidney pye) and watching the holiday program on the tv.

Must get my brain into gear and remember proper names on the forum.So much good imfo,amazing.
Old 10th February 2003, 07:34 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Fred

Hi Fred,
Amazing that you new Glen Croft.
Totally amazing desighner,one of the best ever.
I never met Glen but heard about him.
Have got a series 4 power amp and also a mega micro pre amp.

I hear that Amar is now doing the majority of the buissness in the uk.(IRONBRIDGE).
The new vitalle pre amp is doing really weel,although i hear that Glen does not actually manufacture them himself.

i hear that Glen used to build his superb desighns through the night and he didnt like hi-fi shows beacuse of all the falsness in the industry. My freind also knows Glen(rod whitehouse).
He has a one of a kind power amp from Glen(over 200 watts).

Also know Don swayne,he told me when Glen built a huge pre amp in a basement and it nearly took all the mains out of the house fews box,the sound was "EXILLERATING".
I beleive that Glen used rs components in the early days.

Amazing small world

Hide this!Advertise here!