Pics of Foreplay Preamp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2003, 12:27 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Foreplay

Paul,

Did you add the optional CCS to your Foreplay? I understand this makes a huge difference -- as it does on most CF stages.

dave
Old 5th February 2003, 12:30 AM   #12
diyAudio Senior Member

Default CCS.

Hi,

Quote:
I understand this makes a huge difference -- as it does on most CF stages.
IME it would be safe to say it will have a major impact on any stage/topology...not just CFs.

Ciao,
Old 5th February 2003, 01:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

To all who have responded, Thank you!

Quote:
Adding another stage into the chain is likely to have a detrimental effect on the sound,no matter how good it is....
HI Frank,

This did cross my mind, adding more resitors, caps, ect to the signal.

Quote:
Did you add the optional CCS to your Foreplay? I understand this makes a huge difference -- as it does on most CF stages.
Hi Dave,

Not yet, I do have this 'upgrade' , but did not install it yet. I want to listen to the preamp for a while, then add this. To see if I can hear a difference.

By the way, my next project is speakers, DIY of course. Would you have any recommendations for me to look at?
Old 5th February 2003, 01:11 AM   #14
diyAudio Senior Member

Default DIY MASTERPIECES.

Hi Paul,

If you allow me....

Quote:
Not yet, I do have this 'upgrade' , but did not install it yet. I want to listen to the preamp for a while, then add this. To see if I can hear a difference.
You're in for a pleasant surprise there...you're adhering to a wise policy though,better get acquainted with the circuit first.

As for speakers,well that is of course Daves' department...I'd be looking at a FR 94dB+ or similar arrangement.

Happy building,
Old 5th February 2003, 03:51 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by maybeim
By the way, my next project is speakers, DIY of course. Would you have any recommendations for me to look at?
What kind of amps are those that we see the edges of?

There are many potential speaker projects... what kinds of things have you had your eye one?

I'll ask some more questions as we go along (and probably split this off to the Loudspeaker forum once we have a couple posts happenin')

dave
Old 5th February 2003, 05:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul
Lovely job on the pre-amp, and the amps. Your earlier thread on the power amp construction inspired me to start chassis building, but that's another story.
I have played a little with different 12au7, although in my case they are drivers for 300B not preamp. I found that the late production Mullard (70s & 80s) were a bit ordinary, although perfectly good.
Early Mullards are better, but the best I have tried were Amperex Bugle Boys.
Old 5th February 2003, 01:29 PM   #17
RIP

The changes that the C4S's bring to the Foreplay are not subtle. Some, who get used to the rather lush character of the stock unit have a hard time getting used to the changes - but most are running it into SS amps.

Paul Joppa calculated the operating points for a number of different tubes with that circuit at the following post...

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/forums/bo...ges/21342.html

You'll need a beefier tranny for most(or a separate filament tranny).

Auricaps for the output caps also offer alotta bang for the buck.

Hide this!Advertise here!